Small White Shells

May 19, 2006
Israel
I am searching these forums but cannot find anything to answer this.

I am cleaning my tanks and I see small pure white shells. They are only a few mm's in thickness. I cannot see anything in them. There is only about 6 that I can see. I don't have the ability to post a picture.

This tank set up is some black tank sand in a 10g, live plants, 1 crowntail betta and 1 pleco. The plants and betta are not new, but the pleco is only a few weeks in there.

I appreciate any thoughts on this. Google did not help much since I have no idea where to begin.

T4L

May 19, 2006
Israel
Yes they do look like snail shells. I thought that's what it might be from reading around on here, but I wasn't sure. Gah!

So how big are these little guys going to get? Will I need to provide them any food in the future?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
They're most likely common pond snails, in which case they will most likely become more numerous than the grains of sand (so to speak) without any help from you whatsoever. The thing you have to do is to keep your substrate well-vacuumed and be sure not to overfeed, because a plentiful food source will increase your chances of a heavy infestation. I personally pull out any pond snails I find in my tank.

Breene

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2006
Ohio
homebunnyj said:
They're most likely common pond snails, in which case they will most likely become more numerous than the grains of sand (so to speak) without any help from you whatsoever. The thing you have to do is to keep your substrate well-vacuumed and be sure not to overfeed, because a plentiful food source will increase your chances of a heavy infestation. I personally pull out any pond snails I find in my tank.

But they are so tiny and cute *twirlysmi

I dont have the heart to pull the little munchkin out... maby when its a giant ball of slime overrunning my tank. But my snails live for now :p