snail care

Dandre

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2010
louisiana
I need a lot of information on snails.first should I get just one snail. I like to have at least two of the same species of everything so they don't be alone. Second how do I make snails happy. If I do have only one snail I'm sure it would be stressed and uncomfortable. If one snail is the best way to go how could it be happy third if I have two snails and they mate what fish will eat just the eggs and not the parents

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
two of the most popular FW snails are the large Apple snails and the colorful Nerite snails. there are also Trumpet snails but those breed like crazy and you probably dont want to be overrun by snails.

Research Apple Snails because it sounds like that is what you want to have :)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
you can get one snail just fine by its self. they aren't people, their brain is the size of a drop of water at best.

most snails you can buy for fish tanks lay their eggs out of the water, so the fish wont eat the eggs.

Just get one snail if you plan on getting any.

Your " Get 2 of each species" idea makes zero sense. Some fish do fine solo and some need schools of 5+. there are only some fish that need pairs, mostly cichlids from my experience.

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Don't get more than one!!

Seriously, I had a few on my plants and thought "what can it hurt?" but now I'm not joking, there are hundreds of them everywhere! I'm having such a hard job getting rid of them.

You really need to make sure you don't over feed (my problem) and regularly get rid of a few to keep the population down :)