Snail Food

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
they will eat algae in the tank plus any flake food that they find on the bottom. I'm sure they would like some blanched zucinni too. Mine liked to eat some of the plants that were in the tank as well.

He could be.
Snails can stay in their shells for days on end... most of the time it's because they're uncomfortable in their surrounding enviroment (ie. fish nipping at them) or the water is a little off.
With regular water changes, you'll find your snail to be far more active.
However, if a week or so goes by (and he's still in his shell) just net him out and give him a sniff (i know.. i know.. lol) and if he stinks... then his passed on...
Thats what advice i was given about snails :D

Joe Fish said:
When I first put the snail in he went to town now he just stopped and is just sitting there... Does that mean he is sleeping or something?
uhhh...try physically moving him somewhere he doesn't often 'go'. y'know, just to see if he moves 'back'. ;)

I feed my snail sinking shrimp pellets sometimes. he seems to really dig those.

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Well snails many of which are asexual, will need no help at all in reproducing if you leave them be, and if you have two in a tank, many different species are hempharodites and well.....

YOu get the picutre they'll multiply like crazy, as such is happening in my 55g tank right now, but I have a small algae problem I don't want to scrub and I am letting the snails do the work

Joe Fish said:
Since this is the first day I have had him in the tank i'll give him a day to see what he does. I have a 10 gallon, how many snails should I put in or how many would be too many?
My cousin bought a snail to help keep his tank clean. He woke up one day and had a LOT of snails.

My cousin bought a clown pleco to help keep his tank clean of excessive snails. He woke up one day and they were all gone. :D

Snails multiply at an alarming rate, and as mentioned before, many are asexual...meaning they don't need a partner. If you just want one snail, try an apple snail (also called orange snails). They are not asexual, and do a pretty good job.

If this is your snail's first day, give him a little while. He's probably just stressed from the move and needs time adjusting. Some bio-support/cycle may help speed up the process a little.

My daughters each had a 2.5 gallon minibow with a beta and an apple snail. The snail in the youngest daughter's tank died (they STINK!). The snail in my oldest daughter's tank committed suicide by jumping out of the tank, twice! I don't know how long he was out the first time, but the second time he jumped out during the night sometime and I found him in the morning. He's still alive and we haven't put him back in that tank. He's doing fine now in my 55g. Now we have rams horn breeding factories in their 2 tanks and those snails are doing just fine.