Snail infestation

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
You can try putting a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and then removing it and the snails that migrate onto it . . . . Or depending on what other fish you have, you can try getting a snail-eating fish (loaches and puffers love escargot). There are treatments that will kill the snails, but then you have a bunch of wee rotting corpses fouling your water, so be careful if you go that route.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
the most effecient way would probably be a snail eating fish like lauraf said. you could comfortably have a pair of dwarf puffers in a 48 liter tank. only thing to watch out for is that they can be aggressive towards their other tankmates

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I used to have a lot of snails in my tank during the day, and even more at night. I got two zebra loaches. Problem solved. Now the snails only come out at night, and I assume the loaches eat them then too.

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
What kind of snails? Some are more pesty than others. We have malaysian trumpets. They eat algae and dead plant material, but don't seem to harm healthy plants, (we have swords and crypts, maybe they do eat other things), and they burrow under the substrate during the day which keeps it turned and aerated. Like the earthworms of the tank. :)