Snail issues

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I got 5 ramshorn snails the other day to start breeding for puffer food. I've got about 10 bunches of eggs already, anyone know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch???? Also, one of the snails came out of it's shell and I can't find it now. The shell is laying on the plant empty. This morning when I checked, there was what looked like a snail without the shell laying on the ground next to one of the other snails but it's gone now. Anyone know what could have happened to my snail????

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
snails dont generally come out of their shells...it probably died and either the other snails ate the body or its in your filter, a fish ate it...who knows.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The eggs usually hatch within a week or two. If you watch them closely, you'll see the spots getting bigger and darker each day, and taking on the shape of snails.

The snail out of its shell definitely died. Snails are usually pretty quick to eat anything dead in a tank, so I would assume that's what happened to the corpse.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Well I've got baby snails now, but they are not in my breeding tank! There are 2, as far as I can tell, baby snails in my big tank that must have come in on my plants. I can't tell what kind they are but I don't think they are MTS because I would have noticed baby snails on the plants, and MTS are livebearers. Being that it is going to be a puffer tank, those are the only snails that I don't want, but I think that I am ok because they must have come from eggs that were on one of the plants.