Snails in my tank

Jul 18, 2007
I have two kinds of snails in my tank now. I have no idea where they came from? Are they going to repopulate like crazy? I have Otos as my cleanup crew, what shall I do to get rid of these guys. I am not even sure where they came from.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I have two kinds of snails in my tank now. I have no idea where they came from? Are they going to repopulate like crazy? I have Otos as my cleanup crew, what shall I do to get rid of these guys. I am not even sure where they came from.
Have you bought any new plants recently? That's how I got the snails in my tanks... they piggy-backed their way in there.

Definitely don't use any chemicals to get rid of the snails!

There's fish out there that eat snails... but you have to think about what you'd do after they eat the snails.... and if your tank is big enough for them, etc... so I wouldn't recommend this method.

There's ways to 'trap' them and get them out. I usually just take them out myself whenever I see them. A couple of snails don't bother me, since they help eat algae... but they do reproduce like crazy! If you overfeed your fish, they'll become a problem.

What I recommend, is taking them out as you see them. If you see any snail eggs, get rid of them (usally on glass, plants, ornaments, etc...). Don't overfeed your fish, and it won't be a problem either.

I hope this helps some. I'm sure others will chime in with better advice.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I don't know how to get rid of the buggers. To prevent them from ever getting in my tank I just dip all my plants in a chlorine bleach and hot water and then rinse thoughrally before they go into my tank.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I don't know how to get rid of the buggers. To prevent them from ever getting in my tank I just dip all my plants in a chlorine bleach and hot water and then rinse thoughrally before they go into my tank.
Isnt chlorine bleach bad for the plants? And I would think that the water temp and pressure needed to throughly rinse it wouldnt be good for it either, i dont know so thats why i am asking. If not maybe I will do this next time.

I bought a few live plants and got quite a few snails from that and they seem to be multiplying like crazy. I have catfish that are supposed to eat them but they are in a different tank and everytime i pick them out and drop them into the catfish tank the oscars snatch them up first.

but if your interested striped raphael catfish are supposed to eat snails but they can grow fairly large, up to 8in. They are a peaceful catfish that i only see once every few weeks since they are almost completely nocturnal.

Last edited:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I don't know how well this works... but I noticed that when I pulled my hornwort out of "warmer" water and put it into a container full of cold water, a lot of the snails fell off.

Dojo loaches eat snails and stay relatively small too, but they prefer to be in groups.

Oct 31, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
What kind of snails are they? Pond snails are easier to get rid of than trumpet snails. For pond snails you just put a piece of lettuce at the bottom of the tank every night and just pick up the snails hanging on. Eventually you'll get them under control.

Trumpet snails won't go to the lettuce. You might need to get a couple of loaches and cut back on your feedings. They clean up the left over food, so if there isn't any leftover food they won't repopulate.

I got invaded by MTS and still have them. Once they take over there's not a lot you can do except keep them under control. Also, they can be good for the aquarium by removing the waste and keeping algae down.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
some people go with the slice of veggie on a string trick. toss in a piece of blanched lettuce or cucumber before you go to bed, then in the morning when you turn the lights on you pull it out and there should be some snails on it. some people say it doesn't really work, others have had success, but worth a try. don't add a fish to solve your problem unless you have the space and requirements to house it.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Isnt chlorine bleach bad for the plants? And I would think that the water temp and pressure needed to throughly rinse it wouldnt be good for it either, i dont know so thats why i am asking. If not maybe I will do this next time.
I use a chlorine based bleach 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and dip the plants for about 30 seconds and then I just soak the plants in water and prime (since it's chlorine the prime breaks it down just like it would the chlorine in your tap water) and then rinse gently in water and into the tank it goes. It's worked well for me. Lotus I think pointed out on another thread that vineger and water would work just as well. I'll have to try the hot cold method too and see if that works.

I've never had a problem with snails at all though or anything else coming over with the plants from the fish store tanks.

Stykman

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Aston, PA
I may actually be able to help someone finally.

If you want to get rid of the snails...and they WILL reproduce like crazy...do the "Shot Glass Trick"

Get a Glass Shot or Shooter Glass. Put a few Algae Discs in it and place it in the tank. When the lights go out, the snails go for the algae disc. The glass should have snails in it by morning.

Another thing you can do is Clip a piece of lettuce to a Dinner Plate. Same thing, the snails will be all over the lettuce by morning.

Repeat until no more snails show up in the morning.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I use a chlorine based bleach 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and dip the plants for about 30 seconds and then I just soak the plants in water and prime (since it's chlorine the prime breaks it down just like it would the chlorine in your tap water) and then rinse gently in water and into the tank it goes. It's worked well for me. Lotus I think pointed out on another thread that vineger and water would work just as well. I'll have to try the hot cold method too and see if that works.

I've never had a problem with snails at all though or anything else coming over with the plants from the fish store tanks.
Ok i was wondering, i might try the vinegar thing.Thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't recommend hot water, that will probably kill or damage the plants. A 10% bleach solution for two minutes should be enough, although some sensitive plants won't tolerate that well.

Jul 18, 2007
They are trumpet snails, the images i saw look like the two in my tank. what do the snail eggs look like? I see a questionable piece of something suspended from my plants, might be a sac of eggs?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Trumpet snails are livebearers, so they don't lay eggs. The babies are about the size of a large grain of sand, so they're hard to find.

To be honest, snails are good in a planted tank. Malaysian trumpet snails help aerate the substrate and move nutrients.