Snails in my tank?

asshawk

New Fish
Dec 2, 2009
Albany, NY
I just set up a new 10 Gal tank two-three weeks ago. I used gravel and rocks I found on a beach at the edge of a river I live by. I did not boil the gravel, just rinsed it in hot water and put it in the tank. I'm assuming that is where the snail came from that I just found crawling around in there today.

I read a few posts on here (and around the internet) and it doesn't bother me that they might multiply like crazy. It seems to me to be a good addition to our new 'biocube'. I guess I was wondering if it was dangerous to get random snails from a river, or if you Had to get them from the pet store or whatever... It sounds like there are specific breeds that do different things to your tank, and I'm not sure what kind I have. Does it make a big difference??

My 4 guppies and 3 mollies seem to be doing fine... They are interested in and pick at the snail, but aren't big enough to do anything to it.

Thanks in advance!

-It feels great to have fish again after 6+ years!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the snail should be fine.
people might say that it can introduce new diseases to your tank..blah. the same with everything lol.
get a pic of it up so we can ID it for you and tell you what id does :)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
the collecting your own substrate is very common with native keepers, if you want a positive ID on the snails visit the nanfa forum by clicking the link in my sig, it is doubtful they will cause any harm. NANFA stands for north amarican native fish association, it is made up of very experienced individuals and with a picture and a location you collected them they can probably ID them quickly.