Snails

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
clown loaches will get too big for a 20g. puffers are good for snails, however are not good in community tanks. i take it you have a snail problem? i saw a picture that somebody had on this site of putting a cucumber slice in the tank and then the snails would go to eat it and you could pull the slice out with a bunch of snail on it. like snail fishing, easy way to catch them and then dispose of them if they are causing a problem.

punkrockfish said:
clown loaches will get too big for a 20g. puffers are good for snails, however are not good in community tanks. i take it you have a snail problem? i saw a picture that somebody had on this site of putting a cucumber slice in the tank and then the snails would go to eat it and you could pull the slice out with a bunch of snail on it. like snail fishing, easy way to catch them and then dispose of them if they are causing a problem.
You still might have lots of snail eggs everywhere even if u did take out the parent snails and if u let 1 or 2 go then it'll have more babies cause u just fed it

Rebgen

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
Central Iowa
For your size tank I'd suggest advice I've read on other forums. Regularly (daily at first) crush or remove any snail you see in the tank. In a few days you will effectively reduce your snail popoulation by 90%. Re-examine whether you are possibly over-feeding your fish and cut back if you are. Make sure you are getting any dead plant debris removed with the gravel vac.

I had a couple of hitchiker snails (common pond) land in my tank in January after adding a couple of new plants. They quickly reproduced but didn't do any harm to my plants. After taking the same advice regarding over feeding, I cut back to one small feeding a day. Guess what? My snail population dwindled automatically with the reduced feedings.

I like to have a few snails in my tank for help with clean up. They do not harm healthy plants and won't over run your tank if you keep feedings in check and regularly clean your tank of any dead plant material.

Good luck.

nikon70

Medium Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Visit site
já i concur, yoyo loaches will rid you of your alot of your problem as long as they are not huge sails, remove the large ones and leave the little ones to be eaten, tbh i like snales in my tank, mind you i have got two apple snails who are constantly humping each other.

i get some snails coming in from time to time only tiny brown things tho, they dont seem to do much harm, but when they get too much i just remove the large ones and crush the tiny ones against the glass with my thumb nail if there are too many

or get a dwarf puffer in a smaller tank and feed them your snails, i use to do that :)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I have a yoyo loach in my 38 gallon marsh... he is pretty big and a little grumpy, so not a good match for a 20 gallon I think.

I would personally get a Kuhli Loach (snake like)... they are excellent snail eaters, are pretty shy and unobtrusive, and fairly easy to find at most fish stores.

See profile link (below):
http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwaterprofiles.php?profile=51

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
Ok so I have 2 apple snails to do my clean up for me, but I have noticed some little snails that have hitched a ride on some plants.

I have removed most of the plants that had eggs on them, but how sould I get rid of the live snails? NOT my apple snails. (their eggs are easy to remove)

I know a Yoyo Loaches have been stated but will they get along with my currect fish. I really don't care for loaches so I need to make sure I don't get one that will pick on my fish or back to the store he will go!

Last edited:
loaches are really friendly except they eat a whole lot and they move around a lot sometimes and are realy easy to get ick and spread it around and they grow realy big...If you dont have any more plants theres stuff like had-a-snail that you can just add to the tank and while your doing that you can move your snails to one of those little 1 gallon transporting tanks or a vase or something that they wont get out and after all the snails are dead do a water change and you can put them back in, it'll take like a week or so i think but the had a snail stuff kills plants if i can remember correctly

Apr 16, 2005
Oklahoma
Are they just the smail brown snails you can get out of creeks and such? My sister grabbed a few one day and put them in my tank and they don't need mates to reproduce so they multiplied like crazy and tried to take over the whole tank. I put some lettuce in my tank for my apple snail and they swarmed to it. I removed it and took them all back to the creek. So, you might just try the food approach.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
Ha, I never knew Clown Loaches were big snail eaters. I've always had fake plants, so there was to real way for snails to get into my tank.

When they eat the snails, do they eat the whole thing, shell included? Or do they pick out the good stuff and leave the shell behind?