Snails?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
So I was thinking about getting a snail to help keep my tank clean. But most of them seem to eat plant matter. Does that mean I shouldnt have snails if I have a planted tank?

also..do the snails reproduce and overrun the tank? Or is it just certain types of snails?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
apple or mystery snails are very good snails to have in a tank. because they prefer to eat dead and dying plant matter and so will not not touch you healthy plants. if you just get one then theres no chance of the snails multiplying.

dang a golfball sized snail is huge :) i planned on getting snails several times already but none of my tanks are suited for it cause i have a few openings on my 40g tank and on my 20g the tank isn't even covered so that means the snails can escape, if you do get one just close all the openings cause i hear a lot of stories about how people's snails escape and they find them on the wall and stuff.

LydiaGreen

Medium Fish
Sep 16, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Do a little internet research first - find out what the snails LOOK like and avoid the pests. I got some free snails at Walmart with a fish purchase - pretty soon the tank was over-run and the filter tubes were clogged with them. My daughter was feeding her fish too much (more left over for the snails = more snails) but the type of snail breeds like crazy to start with - avoid TADPOLE snails, or POND snails (same thing).

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've only ever had one snail get out of a tank and I usually have gaps on my tanks. I really think just like most fish and other critters, the only time they want to get out of the tank is if the water parameters aren't something that they like or maybe not getting enough food.

Apple snails are usually sold as "mystery snails" in the lfs. Black, Gold, Green...same snail usually :) They're a lot of fun, and I noticed around here that the green/blue types are becoming more popular. I picked up a green one a long time ago...then had my green and yellow one together for a couple weeks when I moved and then seperated them again and then the momma layed a clutch of eggs and I let them hatch out of pure curiosity. NEVER AGAIN. Even though it was kinda fun the first time around :) Gave baby apple snails to everyone and their brother.