Snails?

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
This is the first time I had a snail and want to know do they shed their shell? Cause mine looks like his shell is peeling off. Is that normal.

Thanks

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
um, no... they keep their shells for life, so it shouldn't be "peeling off" If your referring to your apple snail, I have a few, and I've noticed occaisionally it appears as though one of their shells is flaking off a bit. My advice it to keep an eye on it, but don't stress too much yet.

Mar 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
To me that looks like new growth on his shell. The greenish coating before could have been from poor tank conditions, or possibly algae. If you'd like you could possibly try gently rubbing his shell with a soft cloth or a toothbrush to see if the green comes off. So, he sort of is getting a new shell, but it's really just fresh shell growing from his old :) (at least that's what I can get from the picture).

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Don't worry. Whatever is in the tank is incorporated into the shell. If you move it into another enviorenment it will be different. You should have no problems...