sneaky snails

Ryan NY

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2007
i just discovered 2 tiny snails in my freshwater community tank.

i took them out? what should i do with the tank? is it ok or should i expect more?

i know they arent supposed to be there and i honestly dont want anymore what can i do?

Sep 3, 2007
Southeast USA
More is dependent on if they've laid eggs or if there are more hidden in the tank that you can't see. In my previous planted days, I had major issues with them several times. I've seen them go as far as burrowing into the gravel a bit and laying their eggs in there. From my experiences, here's my suggestion:

Keep your eyes out for the eggs. If you can find any, remove them. They're small, white and in a cloud (little group). Stray from using had-a-snail or any of those type products as they are a bad idea for your tank (copper solutions), just keep your eyes open and manually eradicate any you can find. Some suggest making traps with film canisters (google it) but this has never worked for me.

If you have a large tank and start having snail population issues, you could get clown loaches. Clown loaches love snails! Just understand they grow to be pretty big so it's really only applicable for a large tank.
-HSFT

Ryan NY

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2007
thanks for the info

i actually just bought 6 clown loaches yesterday for my other tank. i definitely am gona use some of them in my other tank.

goodbye snails i hate those things!!!!

Umm, a 30g tank isn't suitable for clown loaches. They grow around 8 inches long each, and are VERY active. You need a HUGE tank for them. And you need to get a WAY bigger tank for that arowana and green terror. Your just asking for trouble.

About your snail problem, they aren't bad, they help clean your tank.

EDIT: And when I mean you need a huge tank, I mean a 200g+, not a 55g or 75g.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I know it's off topic, but I am very, very much with GeraldTheMouse on the arowana, green terror and clown loach problem. You have way too small of tanks for any of them. And to be honest it sounds to me like our 20G is overstocked as well.

Ryan NY

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2007
my loaches are only like 1.5 inches each right now. but i am planning on getting a pretty large tank for the arowana in the near future. can i put the loaches in with the arowana without him killing them? hes pretty agressive and killed a 5 inch pacu i put in the tank.