SNIFF Fiji my Betta died

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
I came home this evening, and there he was, floating at the top of his tank, with no sign of life... I feel bad, I couldn't save him...

I am at present disinfecting my tank, plants and rocks with a bleach solution 1/4 cup to 3 gallons of water.... I will rinse everything till I am blue in the face to make sure it is safe for my next fish...

Any ideas what I can put in a 3 gallon if it isn't a betta... I feel awful replacing him that quickly......

Marie

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Nooooo.... so sorry to hear that! That is just an awful feeling :(

Dont feel guilty getting another betta Marie, you are not dishonoring his memory or how much you cared for him. Fungus or bacteria infections are very often fatal, and Fiji was not all that healthy when you got him. At least he got to spend a few days of his life with someone who did care for him and that counts!

Maybe this time, find a store that keeps there bettas in better condition, get the strongest one you can see, and you will have better luck - I promise!

ps. I used vinegar vs bleach for cleaning acrylic tanks - does a good job and small trace amounts will not kill fish (vs bleach might) Boiling water and letting the gravel should disinfect it too, let them air dry completely and rinse one more time before re-using.

Hang in there!

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Thanks, I actually "baked" the gravel in a 450 degree oven for half an hour.. I read that somewhere, that it kills all the bacteria...

I have spent the last hour rinsing and re-rinsing the tank, and am about to set it up again, so that I can put a new betta or something else in it on Friday...

I would love to get a really red one as healthy as Lancelot, so my cousin and I are going back to the same pet store we got Lancelot from....

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Cool yeah sure... He died because of Fungus and Velvet. The tank is now spic and span, so I am off later to buy myself another fish or an assortment.. I will wait till I get there, but I am leaning towards a nice healthy red Betta.. I love these fish they are so cool.....

Marie

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Thats good news.. was worried you were a little discouraged about bettas. Finchy is a flame-red and a classic male betta. You will have a LOT of choices when picking a red betta, so you chances of getting a healthy one this time is pretty good.