So far, so good!

Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
I joined this group about a month ago when I got a new 75 gal tank and several new fish (given to me by someone who was moving). I already had 9 fantail goldfish and 1 placo.
Because of the way things worked out, I had to cycle the tank with all the fish in it (the goldfish, 1 Tiger Barb, 2 Common Goldfish, 1 Black Moor 1 Yellow Lab, and one more placo). Yes I know the tank is very overcrowded!:eek:
When I got the new fish, I also got as much of their water as possible (about 30 gallons I'd say). I read a lot here and got another filter, to help out the TopFin filter I got with the tank. I was careful about adding more water and was paaaaatieeeeeennnntttt.
It seems to have paid off! My nitrite/nitrate levels are looking good and everyone's still alive, clear eyed, eating well and swimmin' happy!*PEACE!*
I know I'll have to change water a lot and am trying to use rain water as much as possible - our tap water is very hard and adding aquarium salt doesn't seem to be helping much.
Also - I figured out a lid for me tank - it's wire shelving that I'm keeping my orchids on. The fish have a roof and the orchids get lots of humidity. And before you ask, no, nothing falls into the tank from the orchids.
The water is still a bit cloudy, but as time goes on, the water balance gets better and I get more experienced, I'm hoping that will clear up.*SUNSMILE*
Ummmm, one more thing.... i was thinking of getting one or two more tiger barbs to keep the one in the tank company (he looks so lonely!). Would I just be pushing it too much? They are small!!!*BOUNCINGS
Barb

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
I would loose the goldfish. They pollute the tank big time (ammonia). Not sure on specifics of the species you have, but they will probably crowd the tank in no time. You will need a large filter and/or big weekly water changes.

As for the tiger barbs, 6-8 is the minimum. They form a pecking order and play amongst themselves. If the school is too small, they will include the other fish, stressing the others out, possibly killing them. The more you have, the more peaceful they become with the other tank mates, although some fin nipping may occur.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
am trying to use rain water as much as possible - our tap water is very hard and adding aquarium salt doesn't seem to be helping much.
If I might ask, where did you hear about aquarium salt lowering hardness? This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that and it's just plain wrong. That's probably why it hasn't worked lol ;). You can't remove something (the hardening minerals) by adding more minerals (sodium chloride). There are Ion Exchange resins that will *trade* calcium and magnesium FOR sodium. They can (normally) be recharged in salted water but that's a whole different process than simply adding salt to a tank.

So far as the stocking goes, you might want to consider either removing the goldfish (cool water temps) or the tropicals (warmer than the gold's normally like). Long term, one of those groups are going to be stressed by conditions. Who knows though... Could be years before you see a problem, could be next week... No way to know. But as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure :).

Chris

Edit: I forgot to add, be careful with rain water. Depending on your location it can actually be dangerous. I worked at a LFS that delt with imported HQ Japanese Koi so we had a lot of pond people through. In my area there's 3 gas refineries, 3 power plants and quite the assortment of other industrial places pumping out fumes. Every spring, without fail, we would get a bunch of people losing fish, normally the first big rain in June (Pond season starts in May here) but other times as well. We eventually had the water of a few ponds tested, turned out to be pollution from the industrial sections. So like I said, depending on your area, might not be the best idea.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Kure Beach, NC
I've thoguht about that with the rain water. I should have it checked out, but I'm reasonably sure that it's safe.
That's interesting about Aquarium salt not working. When I get internet acess at home tomorrow (I'm at the library now), I'll look up more info on it. I haven't used it since I didn't see any change a few weeks ago.
Barb

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Edit: I forgot to add, be careful with rain water. Depending on your location it can actually be dangerous. I worked at a LFS that delt with imported HQ Japanese Koi so we had a lot of pond people through. In my area there's 3 gas refineries, 3 power plants and quite the assortment of other industrial places pumping out fumes. Every spring, without fail, we would get a bunch of people losing fish, normally the first big rain in June (Pond season starts in May here) but other times as well. We eventually had the water of a few ponds tested, turned out to be pollution from the industrial sections. So like I said, depending on your area, might not be the best idea.
I have often wondered about this myself, I have seen others use rainwater on another forum but seems to me anything that goes into/onto the air/ground (pesticides,ferts, etc) goes up as well then comes back with rain to be deposited elsewhere..

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Chris A is right on the money with the comments above.

However, salt has many other beneficial aspects

Aquarium salt is widely used to help prevent illness as well as treating different diseases. Salts are widely used because they have so many benefits compared to using medications. I use the salt level test in my Master freshwater pond test kit to guide the amount of salt added. You would add less if you have live plants, but the test gives great directions and guidelines on how much to add. Very beneficial to your fish IMO.

Examples:

* Salt will not harm your filters
* It is cheap to use
* It does not cause any harm to the person administering it
* It is not harmful to the majority of fish species
* It will not send a sick fish over the edge
* It quickly eliminates 7 out of 9 parasites

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
You get the idea . . . (seven of the nine most common) sorry my masters in finance didn't cover the benefits of salt in freshwater aquariums . . . just trying to be helpful and provide some POSITIVE assistance by sharing some information I found.

Last edited:

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
You get the idea . . . (seven of the nine most common) sorry my masters in finance didn't cover the benefits of salt in freshwater aquariums . . . just trying to be helpful and provide some POSITIVE assistance by sharing some information I found.
Lol, don't worry about it :). I think Kalavek might have watched a little too much Star Trek Voyager. ;)

Chris