So I heard this on the radio

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
A guy put an ad on the radio saying he was selling SW stuff, not the tank but everything else.

I called the guy up and he wants $50 for around 60 lbs. of Live rock. This is really all he has to sale. He said that he had a few crabs and some anemonies (sp?) as well that he would throw in. The crabs I could live with, but not quite sure about the other.

I know that Live Rock is pricey. But selling it for less than a buck a pound? Man. I've been wanting to start up a tank for a while, and the initial cost of the LR is one of the biggest things that has been putting me off.

He said that right now it's in a 55 gallon tank. It's only been setup for three months and he said he just hasn't had any luck with it and want's to switch back to FW. Sounds like he just hasn't given it enough time.

I have no idea what shape the tank is currently in.

We just moved into a new house. I think we can scrounge up the $50, and if nothing else sell it back to the LFS! lol. but I would like to keep it and setup a tank. I don't really have a place to jump right into setting a tank up right this second. The largest tank I currently have empty would be a 20 gallon.

So what I need you salties to inform me is if a 20 gallon would be ok to hold everything for a while untill I was able to setup a larger tank, or would there be a need for a larger tank? (with 60lbs of LR I would think so)

I'm sure I'll go and pick it up, is there anything I need to be on the look our for when I see the tank? What would be the best way to transport the LR? What about cycling the new tank, am I going to have to worry about that or is the LR going to take care of that for me? If it's just LR, I'm not going to have to worry about good lighting for now am I?

I think I've got enough equipment (if I can find it) to do me for now to at least get the real tank setup. Heater and filter, or at least a pump for water movement correct? He didn't mention any fish, so that's a good thing.

So lay it on me guys. Should I try to jump on this?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
do you have to by all the live rock? maybe buy about 20-30 pounds and start that 20gallon up as a salt water tank?you can use the filter, just take the media out and you could use it as a little refugium? the pump would be good.
you ont need light for just live rock, but sooner or later you might want some corals.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
When you go see the LR, make sure it doesn't smell bad... it should smell kind of oceany. Obviously it should still be in the water (salt water). I'm not sure beyond that how to tell if it is dead... I think all LR looks pretty different.

You don't need lights for it (like ram man said), but you do want to keep it heated in the tank and with a powerhead or something to move the water around it. You could probably load up the 20g with 40 or so lbs, but I'm not sure. You can also keep it in a heated, filtered/powerheaded rubbermaid tote or something if you want to hang onto it until you've got a larger tank available.

When I transported my LR, we just wrapped it up in wet newspaper, and it was fine for a 4.5 hour trip, plus however long it took to get the tank set up and refilled. Must not have killed too much on it, cause the firefish didn't die in the aftermath.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
What if it does smell a little off, would it still be worth my time to buy it and cure it?

I would hate to only buy some and not all of it. I've got two 20 gallon totes that I use for water storage so those would work well for the time being I'm sure for the LR.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Another big thing you need to find out is if he ever used any medications or other chemicals in the tank that may have been obsorbed into the LR.

I would be concerned personally with transporting with newsprint as there are large amounts of dye and other crap on it...but that is just me!

When ever I bought large amounts of LR from the LFS they just used a good heavy durable plastic bag and put it in one of those stirofoam boxes to keep the temp.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Anemonies require good lighting and water conditions, Thats probably one reason he's discouraged its not doing too well... unless hes infested with aiptasia anemonies

The totes will be perfect, toss the rock in with some saltwater and a powerhead, that heater would be good. 60 pounds of live rock wont fit in a single 20 gallons tank Im guessing

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Yeah I'm not too keen on keeping the anemonies right now. What little knowledge I do know on them tells me that they aren't the most simple creatures to keep, and most likley certinaly not for the beginer. If we go though with this maybe I can luck out and re-sale them to the LFS.

The totes have been worth twice their weight in gold for the time I've already had them. The ones I have are the circular ones, kinda looks like half a barrel. They have two rope handles on each side which makes them fairly easy to carry even with water in them.

I guess really the only extra items I would need is a good salt mix and a hydrometer for now.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Orion, first, congrats on finding that deal. That's great. As you've said you've wanted to start a saltwater tank, I wholeheartedly endorse picking up ALL that live rock, that will save you an incredible bundle in the end. And whether you go nano or larger, like you said, you can sell off the pieces to the LFS.

The 20 gallon I think will definitely not be enough to hold it. And if it could hold it, it probably won't be safe at all. So splitting it up among the 20g (the choice pieces you really like) and one of those rubbermaid barrels would do the trick.

And if you don't want to go in for a new powerhead, a strong air pump will do the trick. Just break off the line so you can have 2 or three very strong jets of bubbles, keeping the container fully aerated and making movement in the barrel.

Just today I picked up an old Fluval 404 from the reef club president and the old owner was using it to filter a small saltwater tank. The thing is nasty, looks like it's been floating in a bajou for a year... so caveat emptor when you go to check out the live rock. However, even if the water is awfully cloudy or the rock is covered in algae, it could still be good stuff.

Paper towels or some other form of paper will keep the moisture in the rock during transport. Maybe to be on the safe side pick up a roll of paper towels and cover each large piece in a well soaked paper towel from the tank for tranport.

Salt mix (Instant Ocean!), enough to cover the 20 gallon and any other containers, and a hydrometer should cover the basics. There will likely be some amount of curing involved so be ready to do a few water changes if needed...

Jan 16, 2006
Superior, WI
Question about unused liverock...

How long can the unused LR sit in the bin? A buddy of mine found a deal on LR about a year ago and since then he's had a cooler full (with heater and powerhead) sitting in a corner of his bedroom (don't ask). What kind of maintanance would that need for long-term keeping? Any problem with it sitting in the dark that long?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Thanks for the idea's and quick responses guys. By the time my wife got back to me and I got back with the guy who had the rock for sale he had already sold it to someone else.

Oh hell I was having such a good day. I'm rather pissed right now.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
that stinks...but hey it could have been a pretty crappy deal anyway right? Lots of unknowns. BUT if it happens again now you know a little more right?

btw, my lfs used wet newspaper also. I would NOT suggest using paper towels unless you trust the brand :) heh I would hate to pick those little pieces off of every prickly thing on the rock! The good thing with newspaper is that it has a little bit of structure to it. Granted there is printing on it etc but hey it didn't hurt mine.