So this was sorta dropped in my lap...

Oct 10, 2011
Let me present the situation and background first and then I'll ask some more specific questions...

A friend offers me a free fish tank because he's upgrading... He says he'll give me some fish too.

I think, cool! I like the thought of the relaxing sounds of a fish tank. I can stand to feed some fish once or twice a day. Sure!

Fast forward a bit.

I've realized nothing that's "free" is free... despite being given chemicals and rocks and pump and everything (yes i know that would have cost a lot had i started with nothing) i've still spent a lot more money than i expected to at petco getting decor and plastic plants and air rocks and food and more plastic plants and decor and being freaked out by the guy who basically told me i was an idiot for keeping the fish i was given together... when i'm just doing what I was told was cool by the guy that gave me the stuff who has like a million tanks full of fish and i assume he knows what he's doing...

Now I just don't know what the hell to think... so i'm asking for help in what to do in basic week/month/year of caring for a 20g(long) tank of the following fish...

1 - Electric Blue Cichlid
1 - Bumblebee Cichlid
4 - varying sized and colored Mbunas (I think)
1 - "African leaf fish" which i've come to the conclusion is a Spotted Ctenopoma

there were 5 minnows i got for the leaf fish to eat... one dead one is stuck on the pump and one resilient dude is still swimming around

I've fed them pellets which they didn't eat and just left gross soggy balls floating in my tank... I fed them flakes and they ate those unless they fell to the ground first... or got stuck in my plastic plants...

I've gotten the water heater so everything a nice 78 degrees... i'm still fighting to get the ph down to 7.0... it's currently still around 7.4 - 7.6 I didn't realize I had to do stuff for that till the second day i had fish (yesterday)

The water is starting to get cloudy, i assume from the food, and I'm not sure about ammonia levels? are there tests for that? is there other stuff i need to buy? is it cool to feed them minnows? should i try and keep minnows separately for feeder fish? should I be concerned about the leaf fish? When do i do water changes? HOW do i do water changes? Am I asking the right questions? Am I asking too many questions? Sorry for the long first post but i just have no idea what to do... i'm gathering information from multiple sources... don't assume i know anything even though i've picked up on some lingo and such.... PLEASE HELP!!!!! Thanks!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
OK, your first issue is the African Leaf fish is not really compatible with your Other African fish. Your other Africans need a pH of about 8.0 (7.8-8.6pH is OK) and the temp at about 80 degrees. Your Leaf Fish needs a pH of about 6 and a temp of at least 80. Next your Electric blue Hap is not compatible with your other Mbuna and bumble bee. So the Electric blue hap and the leaf fish should be donated to your local fish store. So the best option is to just keep the mbuna only. Next issue is the tank size, they will likely outgrow this tank. I would suggest at least a 50G in the near future. Out of all the Africans I really like the Mbuna type. Also you need to buy a liquid master test kit for your water and be doing at least 3-5G water changes a week. They will start to eat soon, its been a big move for them. Your tank may cycle again to or may already be cycling so get a test kit soon and keep up on water changes to reduce the ammonia if there is some present. Ammonia can kill your fish FAST. Read the info in here about cycling a tank.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum! I know what you mean by things "given" to you not being free. I do not know anything about cichlids so I am sure someone else will help you very soon. From reading other replies on this forum, though, I am pretty sure you should leave your pH alone. In fact I think cichlids need the higher pH. I also don't see people feeding their fish live fish because of possible diseases. The test kit you need is API liquid fresh water test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. There are a couple of "Stickies" at the beginning of the beginners forum about cycling. Good Luck!;)