So When Can I Add Fish?

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
As some of you know I have been struggling with my tank. My nitrites are finally at zero. Nirates are just above 0 and ammonia is 0.

This just happened today. How long should I wait?

Yep *nod* I am anxious

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think I'd wait a day...add your 4ppm of ammonia, wait overnight and if everything is still 0, 0 and + then I'd do a big water change and add your fish! :D

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ohh LOL whoops sorry :) I'll rephrase. Then yeah, you can add A COUPLE fish whenever...just be sure not to add too many at a time. Then what you can do is add some, then for a few days monitor. You'll probably see your ammonia tweak a tiny bit...and then might or might not see the nitrite go up a bit. But since its cycled now the base bacteria is all built up, so it wont be as much effort for them to just fill in some more to cover the new bioload.

Sooo tell us what you're going to stock it with?? You've been waiting for a long time!!

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Hmm I don't know I have read and read all about fish. The ones I want they don't have here so I am limited. I have been thinking of bleeding heart tetras. I want an angel fish or 2 but I don't think I am set up correctly for that :(

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The 55 is the one you're stocking now right? The danios might annoy the angelfish...but I think you have enough ROOM for one if it would get along with your other fish?

Bleeding heart tetras are cool...I know I picked out a few fish that I liked when I was starting out that I wanted that I never saw in stores around me...and then if you wait long enough you can find them :) or if you find a store that will order fish for you you can talk them into ordering some for you!

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Yep the 55 Gallon. I had a thread here not too long ago about angel fish and I think the consensus was not a good idea. I guess what would I do if it didn't work out? Here PetsMart is really the only place to get fish and they don't special order anymore. There is a place about an hour away that will. How do fish do in a car for an hour? I just think I will stick local here. I am in a small town. We have Wal Mart here but every time I look in there tanks the fish don't look very good. The lady seems to know what she is talking about and the water is crystal clear but there is always a dead fish in there tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hmm...have you looked into aquabid or ordering some fish from somewhere? Can be a tad on the expensive side...(or a lot) Sounds like you guys need a lfs nearby! I think the fish would probably be ok in a bag for an hour as long as you are sure to have a tank ready for them on the other side, they're not in the sun during that time etc (put them in a cooler or something to protect them) Afterall fish get shipped all the time right? :)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
You know, you can add more fish if you have live plants in there growing...

many of us here joke about how saltwater tanks are the "dark side", but I bet many people think live plant people have turned to the "dark side" as well.

After you get your current setup stable, you might want to look into adding some live plants. It can be done really cheaply and ther are lots of low light plants that you can start out with.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have check a few online places but the 35 buck shipping is too much on a limited budget. Should do it soon at the hour away place before the humid summer hits.

I like the hatchetfish but I am afraid they will jump. I like the cichlids but have to wait on those

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
hey the hatchetfish I got...I got attached pretty quick, they're very cool. If you dont have a good cover though I wouldn't. I was working in there today putting some driftwood in and they scared me a couple times...no actual jumping but those suckers are fast and they like to be RIGHT up at the top.

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
kll1221 said:
T, but knew I souldn't be home for 4here is a place about an hour away that will. How do fish do in a car for an hour? I just think I will stick local here. I am in a small town. We have Wal Mart here but every time I look in there tanks the fish don't look very good. The lady seems to know what she is talking about and the water is crystal clear but there is always a dead fish in there tank.
My closest fish store is about 1.5 hours away, and it is not a problem at all for the fish. Just tell them at the store, and at least here, if the fish will be in the bag for more than 3-4 hours, or with delicate fish, they will put an oxygen tablet in the bag, as well as more water. If you are worried, you could use a food cooler to keep the bag in - don't heat or cool it, and just keep the fish in there. It will prevent the bag from warming up/cooling off as quickly as it would otherwise.

If you order online, the fish will be packed up much longer.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
kll1221 said:
I thought of the live plants already ;) PetsMart said all the ones they sell require high lighting so I need to read up
It is a good thing that they didn't lie to you like Petco does. Kudos to them. Petco would sell you dwarf riccia knowing you have a stock hood. It is best not to get into live plants unless you're ready for the investment, and sometimes I almost wish one of my tanks had plastic so I could do a simple wc once a week and be done with it.

When I had tanks several years back when I was still at home, I did not have live plants, and I remember those days fondly. It is a lot less hassle. If you're new to fishkeeping at all, it is probably best to get keeping fish alive and happy before getting into keeping plants alive and happy.

Last edited:

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I had some dalmation mollies that I gave away and their fry. I miss them. I gave them away because my tank was unstable and I didn't know what to do with the fry but now that it is stable maybe but I still wouldn't kow what to do with the babies. Plus they like salt and corys don't.