SOAB....... Ammonia spike

Well Spike seems to take it all in stride but I got done testing the water about 45 minutes ago and the Ammonia was 5.0ppm. :eek: :eek: The Nitrites was .005, less then last week. The Ammonia was 4.0ppm more then last week. *ALL*

I just finished a 50 - 60% water change and I felt I needed to do the gravel cleaning too. I did get a lot of old food, including blood worms and I'm hoping that makes a difference.

I'll be testing the water again in an hour or two to see how much better it is. I'll be home for 4 days straight now cause I don't need to go back to work till Tuesday. Do you think I should do a water change everyday, 25% or just wait till I get the results of the new test.

BTW, I had read that a spike like that could mean the cycling is just about done. Did anyone else have a good spike like that and then have it drop to 0.0ppm within a week or two?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, once the nitrites start to drop, they usually drop to zero within a week or so. It sounds like you may almost be done, but the 5ppm ammonia is a more than a little worrying. Try to keep it below 1ppm with as many water changes as necessary.

Be really careful with overfeeding. It's neither healthy for the fish or for the tank. Just as much as they will eat in about two minutes should be enough for most fish.

Well that's it, I think I have been doing fine on the feeding, I just think he hates to chase it much around the tank once it gets in the current from the fliter. I watch him eat everything usually but some of the food I do use for him does tend to drop rather quickly, especally after it gets caught in the current.

This was the first time I really worked the gravel up and around so it could have been food from back when I first started.

Nah, tested the water before the gravel cleaning. I worked up the gravel to really clean the tank to get the ammonia to not spike like that again.

I just tested the water again now a hour and a 1/2 after the change and I'm now at .5ppm.

Thanks for reminding me, I should feed him again before the light goes out (I like watching him eat). :D