Solaris LED Lighting System

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
LED array's are the way things will be going in the future. I work in the airport lighting industry, and we are just in the process of designing and implementing LED taxiway lights.

There are a lot of advantages, most of them listed on that site. Less power consumption, no bulbs replacements, less heat (this is actually a disadvantage on a taxiway, since the fixture doesn't generate enough heat to melt snow and ice off of itself).

I would expect in a few years, LED will become the new standard.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
i think that LED is going out, cause its gonna be all about Transparent OLEDs, so for aquariums you could have yor glass cover its self light up without any hood, and it goes back to nearly completely translucent when the lights go out.

cheers

-Java

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
yeah, Lorna ever since you reccomended P.A. I check out their site. they have been on preorder for a decent time now, I was gonna pick one or two of them up but remembered that I really don't have any money. :eek: They are so awesome though! They can recreate cloud cover, I mean that's just insane!!

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
I don't know Kev they definetely have their pros...
limited heat exchange, slim design, led's use way less power, oh and 13.5 years of life at 10 hrs/day that's crazy.
I don't work for them or anything but if I was rollin in the cash I def. would buy one.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The say that they have the same power as 2 x 250w mh......on a 48"

I know my led moon lights shine quite a way down into the water column. I think just the ability to program them is a strong point, that and no bulb replacement, heat (no chiller needed) .....lower electric bill........hopefully they come down in price.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, if you think about it, lighting a 30" tall tank, like a 110, for a full blown SPS reef, this light would come out to be the most viable option. Within a few years it would equal out in price to paying for 2x250MH bulbs, AND it puts out more light.

So lets say:
Ballast, $250
Pendant (extremely good reflector), $150x2
Bulbs, $75x2
Chiller (1/4hp), $600

With that estimate, within 6 years of replacing bulbs every two years, the costs would equal out. This doesn't even account for the extra cost of running your AC more because the chiller will heat things up. Its just that the Solaris is a lot more upfront. I think it is a really cool system, but definitely need to wait for that and the Ecotech Vortech powerheads ($350) to come down in price.