Some Advice Please

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I currently seem to be having an issue with cyano in my sump. Someone once told me that a lot of people have problems with cyano there as the flow is reduced.......I have no cyano in the display just in the fuge section of my sump. Is it possible to put a small power head in the sump just to ad movement? seems that there is not very much flow through there. I have a 600 gph overflow and a 900 gph return pump....the sump/fuge is about 20g under a 75g display. I have a Remora Urchin in the intake section of the sump with the fuge in the middle and the return on the other end. My parameters are dkh 4 meq/l, ca is 420, phos and nitrates are not an issue. My ph is 8.3 and temp is 78-80 night/dayI have a canteloupe size ball of cheato and a handful of red gracillara in my sump along with a small bit of feather caulerpa. I run the lights on the fuge about 12 hrs. I have 7 baby bangaiis that are living in my fuge after taking a ride down the overflow after they were born about 4 weeks ago. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.....

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I would be tempted to gee up the growth of the macro algaes and see if I could outcompete the cyano. Cyano is successful in enviroments where more advanced, efficient creatures/plants are not able to thrive. Nutrient control can help sometimes, but be aware this stuff can 'fix' dissolved atmospheric nitrogen, so zero ammonium or nitrate is no measure of anything.

Tweaking the flow and alk can work by weighting the enviroment towards other organisms, not by directly, negatively impacting the cyano. It's always there, you just want to keep it 'background'.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. I have cut back on feeding in the display and the cyano in the fuge really only took off when I started feeding the bangaii babies rotifers and such 3 times a day.....now that they are bigger I haven't had to feed as much and have cut it back to once a day...... I also put a small powerhead in there just to move the water around a bit....