Some Fish Suggestions

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
Hi everyone, in the next couple months I'll be starting a 75 gallon reef tank. My plan is for about 100 pounds of LR and a DSB.

My problem is that I'm not experienced at all in SW and am just starting to read about all the different fish. I was hoping for suggestions about fish you have kept and liked because of interesting personalities or nice colors or whatever reason.

I'm planning on having peaceful fish only and they need to be reef and invert safe.

Thanks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
In Michael Paletta's book he has some suggestions for a peaceful community tank depends on how much activity you want your fish to have. I like wrasses and clowns and blennies/gobies, cardinals all are peaceful reef safe fish and suitable for a 75g. Just remember to take things slow and easy does it. Read the stickies and you will be fine.

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
Yeah I've been researching SW tanks since like december, as far as setting up and cycling and everything I've got that down. I just realized though that I had barely even thought of what I wanted to go into my tank.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I started researching fish when my cycle was coming to an end :p

I went with some gobies, banggai and pajama cardinals, a couple of flasher wrasses and an orchid dottyback. All are fairly hardy and peaceful. I found it good to get the "hardy" fish, as they're more forgiving of beginners' mistakes.

I hope you have a quarantine tank planned :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
fairy wrasses totally under rated and a great fish for a community tank. Add to the list a small pygmy/dwarf angel and you have a showy tank of active swimmers who are not overly aggressive. Dottybacks as a rule tend to be the most aggressive of that mix but not if you add them at the right time.

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
Thanks everybody, I definately like some of the smaller angels and will probably get one.

Does anyone have experience with jawfish, they sound kind of cool but I wasn't sure if they hide all day in the sand.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no they don't they make a burrow in the sand and sit above it for quick escape if startled. They are very cool.....the yellow headed one and the pearly one are quite common.....you need a good dsb with fine grained sand for them and you should be fine....

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you get jawfish (or anything that burrows or digs, really), you need to make sure to put the LR on the bottom glass of the aquarium, and then add the sand around it. Don't put the sand in first and then stack the rock on top, because if something burrows under the rock they can cause it to collapse. Really, this is a good idea anyways but it's much more important if you know you're going to have digging.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You could probably have a container of sand in QT for them. In the main tank, they need at least 4", and some rubble to build with.

Be aware that if they do come down with ich in QT that you'll have to treat with hyposalinity, as copper and sand won't work.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well you can treat with a sand bed but the sand will absorb the copper and you will need to pitch it out after. It may also alter your copper readings.....I would put in a sand bed for the jaw fish and if something needs to be treated then toss the sand and treat.....you could use cheapo sand from Lowes or HD........play sand