Some Questions

Nov 13, 2009
Hey everyone,
I have ten gallon I am currently cycling. I was looking at it today and wondering if I need a bubbler for it? It has a hanging filter which moves the water surface but isn't enough to make any bubbles.

Secondly would 10 fish: 6 schooling, 3 others (small friendly), and a bottom dweller be too much for the tank? Going for small fish, not anything longer than 2 inches during adulthood.

Also considering only getting 10-12 of a schooling, any personal preferences on the "wow" factor or care factor between my two choices?

Lastly, the tank wont be naturally planted, how should that factor into my fish choice?

Thanks *celebrate

Zane

New Fish
Jan 18, 2010
Lompoc, California, USA.
Hmmmm... The first thing that comes to my mind is that you ARE going to need to find a way to get more oxygen. That being said, there are three different ways that I, personally, would attack the problem. The most elementary and quick method, IMHO, would be to lower the "water table" (I.E. don't fill it up ALL the way), thus giving the water a little further of a "drop" upon re-entry to the tank. This will give you bubbles if you take a little out at a time 'til you reach an optimum level. Second method: get the bubble thingie. The pro of this is that you get bubbles and dont lose any water volume, and the higher volume, the easier it is to keep your bio-rythms steady. The third method, which I PERSONALLY would combine with the first in this case, is to PLANT the tank. Plants have many benefits to a tank and "exhaling" Oxygen is one. They will keep your tank in cycle by eating up all that poop as fertilizer, and your tanks inhabitants will love them. I can tell you it's not as daunting to keep plants as you might think. If you go the planted route I highly reccomend micro-sword and water wisteria. In my admittedly limeted experience, they are hardy AND pretty additions.
As to your question of stocking... Well, I will start off by saying that your bioload will surpass the "one inch of fish per gallon" rule, BUT in many cases, that rule is crap (IMHO). Many variables must be taken into account and I BEG you to thoroughly research the species you wish to stock with to get a feel for their needs FIRST. Having that out of the way, let me suggest a method of finding a safe, comfy way to find out what works. When your tank is fully cycled ( and planted, I hope! ) add your shoaling fishies. Give them some time and keep a close eye on your water parameters. Next I suggest you add a "cleanup" fish/invert. I would do that second, after establishing the shoal, so as to (a) keep things clean and (b) not drop in a bottom feeder with no source of gunk to eat. I would then add my other, NON AGRRESIVE fish, as your water conditions will then allow. I hope this helps. Keep in mind I'm no expert, but I do a lot of reaserch and followed a simmilar formula with my 10g community tank, after some unavoidable setbacks (NTD to name one) my little guys are thriving... Have fun, and remember not to jump in too fast, it's for the fish AND you to enjoy! -Zane

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you got some awesome advice above, I have just two suggestions; if you want just 10-12 schooling fish: Green neon tetra.
These are much smaller than regular neons, which says a lot! they're unlikely to get over 1" in their lifetime. in order to have 12 however you would probably need to go the planted route as that keeps water cleaner (as long as the plants thrive) and more oxygenated.

My other suggestion is Water Sprite and Hornwort. both great and very hardy plants. they're extremely fast growers, which is something you want to avoid algae and excess phosphate/nitrates in the tank :)

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I really like sword plants. They are difficult to uproot as they grow very large root systems. I kept hornwort for a while and still have a heavily-planted bunch in my 5 gallon. It grows very fast and makes great hiding spots for fish. However, it is VERY messy! And with any plant, be very cautious as snails like to travel on plants.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you want something really easy to add to your tank in terms of live plants, for the reasons listed above from the other contributors (basically, your fish will love you more for it), it would be very simple to buy some java fern, fasten it to a rock with some elastic, and plop it in the corner. Decorate with plastic plants if you want, but do yourself and the fish a favour, and put at least one live plant in there. The java requires no digging into the gravel, no dead leaves, and pretty much no care other than it might grow and expand, and need a regular trim.
Get a bubbler too - the more air the better, right? Why not get a long airstone, put it in the back of your 10g, and have a pretty wall of bubbles? Would be a cheap way of making you tank look extra cool!
If I had a 10g, and I wanted to include a school, I'd do six small tetras/schooling fish for the top/middle of the tank, three dwarf corys for the bottom and scavenging, though they need their own food too, and maybe three bright platies, one male and two females?
Anyhoo, I'm new as well, so the Big Fish can give me the slapdown on this advice.