Someone please help!!

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
My puffers wont eat and Im afraid they are going to die. When I came home today I saw one laying at the bottom of the tank barely moving. I thought it was dead but I tapped on the tank and it moved. I have tried feeding them freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen food and tetra pellets nothing works. I even gave them snails and they wont eat them so now I have snails roaming around in there and eggs all over the tank. They ate tubifex worms but only once and never again since then. I dont know what to do with them. All they do is look at the food and swim away. Is there anything else I can try? They look so skinny and unhealthy and keep swimming into the tank.. Can someone help me with this I dont want to lose them..

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
My puffers didn't eat for the first couple of days, but you've had yours for awhile now right? The ONLY food that my puffers like is freeze-dried bloodworms. They will also eat the cherry shrimp babies when they are born in the tank, but thats it.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Try buying some ghost shrimp, they might like those. Try to get some smaller ones so they can go after them easier. Is there enough current in your tank? The frozen bloodworms will look "alive" if they float around in the current and they might eat those.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
One of them died yesterday while I was at work. I bought some live and freeze dried bloodworms and they ate the live ones. I tried the shrimp also since they are only 29 cents each or 10 for 2 bucks. No luck there either but the tank is free of any leftover food now at least. So right now I am sticking with the live bloodowrms. Hopefully they will continue to eat those. I have had them for 2 weeks now and I do weekly water changes. Anything else I should be doing?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sorry to hear that one died. I think it sounds like you're doing what you can. Now that you found something that they like to eat I'd make sure that they're all eating well and then keep an eye on their tummies. If something was wrong in addition to just not eating before, then they won't gain any weight or look healthy from the good food. I dont know how long bloodworms stay alive, but you might get some frozen ones and see if they will accept those too...and you can just get them live ones once in awhile.