Someone told me? Is it true?

Aug 3, 2006
I am about to inherit a 100 gallon tank. Someone told me with water it will weigh about 500 lbs. I also have a trailer house, and was planning to put the tank in it. But I heard It might weigh too much. Is that true. Also I am trying to think of a idea of what to put in it. Any ideas? I want something pretty like saltwater fish but not saltwater fish. Any suggestions will help.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
Math Time!

1 gal. water = 8.33 lbs

100 gal. tank = 100 lbs gravel

you're looking at about 933 lbs, not including a stand and equipment.

go saltwater, and it'll be even heavier.....saltwater's heavier than freshwater. Plus, you'll have to factor in 100 lbs of sand (following the same guideline as above...) and 100 lbs of rock.......plus probably a sump......

Personally, I wouldn't put anything that big on anything but a ground-level cement slab....but I'd rather be safe than sorry....and cleaning up 100 gallons of water......saving the fish......hoping the glass didn't break everywhere just doesn't seem like my kind of fun.

:)

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
i'm so confused now.

on a different note...

watch out.....i stocked a 10 gal tank almost similar to that, and everybody croaked. even with over-filtration and frequent (DAILY) water changes.

it's just too small for 'em....and i learned the hard way.

Aug 3, 2006
On the overstocked note

Yes thats my 10 gallon, I havent got the 100 gallon yet, its on its way. Yes I overstocked it, But I am planning to take all of them back except the black moor.

Aug 3, 2006
Stocking ideas?

Ok if I put the 100 gallon in a shed or something, What kind of stocking ideas you got, something pretty like Saltwater fish but DEFINTELY NOT salwater fish.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
if you want colorful, but not salt.....

cichlids....

they're colorful! I have one that is a bright bright purpley-blue.....and one that is a really really pretty orange.

used to have another blue one that looked purple.

look at my mom's tanks (her SN is cinlink)..her 55 gal. is all cichlids, she has some REALLY nice ones in there, or check out the fish profiles---cichlids to see pictures of some other people's fish......they can be really really pretty. And with a tank that size you have a lot of choices available to you.

mickeymouselvr said:
I finally cut it to make it fit, I know you cant see it very well.
1-black moor
1- tiny goldfish
1-calico golfish
1-male guppie
1-Gold fantail
1-Other type of goldish
OH MY MY MY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
I cant believe you have all those goldies in a lil 10 g.....the stock you have there would easily fill a 100 g. I am surprised that they are alive!!!

And as for the 100 g in a trailer house ..... No Way would the flooring support it....the tank weighs in excess of 2000 pounds or more.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2006
dang it..

I really want that 100 gallon, guess i going to get the tank its own little house, like maybe a shed. But then I cant look at it, that so sucks. What about a 55? probably not! :mad:

No, I wouldnt even do a 55 in a trailer house...you are tempting fate with that also....
One thing I would do FIRST is to rehome those goldies ASAP!!!!!! They are living in their own sewage water. Your 10 g is NOT big enough for ONE goldie let alone the 6 0r 7 you have in there. It is not HUMANE to keep them in that tank!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
we have a trailer and as long as you keep the tank against the outside wall there shouldnt be a problem with the weight of a 55g tank. mine does fine and our "trailer" is at least 30 years old, and yes it is still standing, barely but it is still standing lol ........geez we need a new place lol.

romeoharvey

Medium Fish
Jun 20, 2005
Southeastern Michigan
Hope you find a way to keep the tank.

I don't think goldfish are all that attractive, or maybe it's just the ones I've seen. If you want some lovely fish, go for tetras. They won't get nearly as huge as some cichlids might, and I've noticed their colors are brighter.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
if youre totally set on getting the 100G, maybe use it for frogs or salamanders, that way, you dont have to fill it all the way up, maybe just fill it with 30G of water. just a thought (as i'm not an expert in amphibians!).

you can always put the tank in storage until you move to a house that can support it. i'd hate for you to miss out on a free 100G tank..! ;)