something new yet again

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
now that my tank is well established I have been noticing new things nearly everyday. but these tubes have been in my tank for a while now but I have just noticed tenticals coming out of one of them. what in the world are they. also what is this clear/white thing coming out of my rock if u know? I got a tiny fine yellow box around what I"m talking about as it's hard to see.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
in the first picture what you have is vermetid snails - an actual gastropod, not a "worm" They're pretty cool but can be invasive in some situations. plus getting rid of them is not easy. in my tanks I just let them be.

The second picture is difficult to tell from, but it looks to be some sort of annelid. any clearer pictures of that last one?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
first pic I got a yellow box around the subject at hand. still not a great pic but u can see it has a striped stalk. then a black box over something I have no idea what it is. just looks like a hole till I take the pic. 2nd pic I got black box around a different one and 3rd is same pic with no flash.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yes a sessile snail.
2nd and 3rd pics show one fan worm being surrounded by those vermetid snails.

still no clear idea about what's going on in pic 1 sorry :p

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
so should I be all that worried about them or are they ok to have? I been trying to find info but there are so many conflicting oppinoins out there it's hard to know what to belive.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
conflicting opinions on what? fan worms or vermetids? fan worms are fine, vermetids can be nuisance snails if they multiply too much and once their mucus webs become irritating to corals. theyre not venomous or anything.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
do you see them moving around at the end of the tube? their foot should be there with their two tentacles at the end of the foot. theyre very small. you will eventually see their mucus strands, especially when you change water in your tank or stir up debris from the tank's decor+sand. i doubt theyre dead, they may be feeding at night when you dont see them.