Something wrong with my Betta?

lilcam

Large Fish
Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Bought him from the store today. Beautiful color and he's living in a 2.5 gallon mini-bowl. I have an artificial plant and he seems to like the spot. He doesnt move or anything, and i hope he's not sick or anything.

Also, it seems very lonely in there. Are their any other fishes I can throw in with him?! The answer is probably no, but i would like to try atleast one more fish to keep him company.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
He's probably just adjusting to his new home. It may take him a few days to feel safe.

Bettas are happiest alone, they don't really like company, and will either attack or be attacked by other fish. In a 2.5 gallon tank, I wouldn't recommend anything else in there.

Good luck with your new betta :)

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Originally posted by lilcam
i was thinking of adding another betta just to see what would happen. Once they start chasing one another, i'll just move him to another tank.
Not at all a good idea!

One of them would probably be dead before you could seperate them. These fish do not like company and will fight to the death with their own kind. They aren't called Siamese Fighting Fish because of their docile nature, they really will fight!

Jubilee

Medium Fish
Oct 29, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
The best thing to do is get another tank and another betta. Put the new tank close to the other one so they can see each other. They will be more active too.
You could also add a snail to the 2.5.

kikuchiyo

Large Fish
Apr 28, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I wouldn't keep a betta wth anyone else. If u want so keep another bowl near by. The fish will display. But remember whenever a fish displays its gills it is in stress. Keeping a fish stressed is not a good idea at all.

I think a little bit of flaring is good for a betta. All the time is one thing, but once and a while for small amounts of time is fine, not badly stressful or damaging.