somethings really wrong...

herman

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2004
canada
Visit site
hi, on the surace of the water my betta is in there seems to be a flim of white stuff the almost covers the whole surface, it breaks apart and floats here and there... he can still eat through it and breath, but i want to get rid of it and this is the second time it happend, i did a water change last time but dont want to again... what is this? and how can i prevent it?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It sounds like a protein film. Does it look kind of oily? One way to get rid of it is to have the filter outflow further from the surface of the water so the water falling from it breaks the surface of the water more. It can be a sign of overfeeding or feeding too rich a diet.

You can usually remove it by dragging a paper towel across the top of the water, but it's better to solve the problem and keep it away :)

herman

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2004
canada
Visit site
i'll try and get a picture up tomorrow, my filter is not on and has not been on because i have yet to figure out a method to making the current easier for him to deal with... im not sure if its oily, its not bubbles, its a thin layer of white film...