Sothern Painted Turtle?

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Well, im still confused on what i want to do with my 29gal tank.My newest idea is that i want a turtle.Would this turtle work?Are there any other small water turtles that would work?

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Turtles make the largest goldfish or pleco seem like neat freaks when it comes to the amount of waste they produce.

Unless you are willing to do 90% or better weekly water changes, look into something else.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
actually a male southern painted might do okay in a 29 gallon... granted i am saying that not having researched turtles in a while.. i LOVE turtles. i think they are adorable.

i know turtles need approximately 10 gallons per inch (for a full grown turtle, of course), and male southern painteds stay tiny (females get a bit larger, i believe)... www.turtleforum.com - GREAT site.

dino is right though, they are VERY messy! ;) make sure to get us pictures if you do decide to get a turtle.

edited to add: here's a care sheet for southern painteds - looks like 29 gallons may be a bit small, though i think you could do it with a strong filter, maybe... Care Sheet - Southern Painted

Last edited: