Sound kill fish?

Jan 22, 2008
Ok so all my fish stuff is in my bedroom but i would love to have one of my tanks out in the living room but im wondering if the stereo being loud during a movie will damage my fish or kill them i really cant seem to find any info online google. Now my bedroom is right next to my living room and so far i have had the door open during a movie and nothing seems to be a problem yet. Do speakers really kill fish?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
you will get mixed answers... but if you think that you can't because harm might become to your fish.. don't do it. I have read that loud music or noises can stress some breeds of fish. enough stress = dead fish

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
I have a friend who started having band practice at his house at the same time his dwarf gouramis started freaking out and dying......the loud amps and drums? well I cant prove it but its kinda funny that gouramis are known to get real stressed by loud sound..... if you do just make sure they're not known to freak from loud sound my little 5gal does fine in the living room and i got a monster stereo

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got my 10 gallon in my bedroom right above my stereo and I've had it loud enough to rattle my windows and the fish don't even seem to be bothered by it and my 55 is in the basement where my brother has his XBOX and computer running through his surround sound and heavy base still never seen anything strange. Is it recomended maybe not but I have seen on ill affects.

Jan 22, 2008
hmm see there is no real definite answer to this question, like a science report you know lol. I decided when locating my tank to put it in my bedroom anyways i would have loved it to put it in the living room so i could look at it but my stereo is beyond, its all pro audio. I figured that it has nothing to do with audible sound but just that of the shock waves, i know that water amplifies sound.