Spawn B3

Mar 11, 2003
I am not sure if I ever let you guys in on my May 2nd spawn...sorry! I don't like to announce my spawns anymore until I am positive that the fry will survive. It only gets my hopes up, lol. Anyway, I am proud to say that I DO have a spawn that is a little over a month old now.

The dad (B) is a silver/gold male with red fins (no, it isn't red wash) and the mom (3) WAS a black/gold sheened marble female who is now colored exactly like the male, but with marbling. There are about 20-25 fry, but it was a small spawn and I actually only found one dead fry and that was 2 weeks ago. They have just gotten their color, or at least some sort of color. It's silver/gold, however I am just waiting for the marble gene to kick in and give them some spice.

Up until last week or so they were still being fed BBS and microworms, but I have now eliminated both of those foods as the fry are too big to get full off of them and they are a hassle anyway. Now the babies are eating a mixture of crushed shrimp, bloodworms, flakes, and pellets along with grindal worms. They took to the dry foods extremely well. Usually it takes a long time for bettas to realize that even though it may not wiggling, around it's still food. I am a little too worried to introduce grated frozen food simply because of the risk of parasites. Getting a disease now would suck. Live grindal worms seem to be the perfect food for month old fry anyway.

Spending many hours changing water today reminded me to update and let you guys in on how I've been doing and how my bettas are doing. I swear I worked for 3 hours organizing equipment, cleaning empty tanks, changing water, feeding fish, and reculturing all the creatures I feed to betta fry. Tomorrow is going to be even more exciting as I get to move the little guys into a 20 gallon with live plants and some sort of bottom feeders. My mom thinks I am crazy and I agree. They are perfectly fine in their 10 gallon with plastic plants, but I want to give them the best environment possible.

Alexa (attached is a glimpse of one of the babies)

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Well congrats!!! I'm glad you got this spawn successfully. I'm guessing that a smaller spawn is easier to deal with than one of those 200+ ones eh? I dont envy you on the hours worth of water changing...but I bet it'll be a great learning experience :) Keep us posted how its going!

Mar 11, 2003
Well, it looks like I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the bottom of the fry tank. Most of this spawn is missing either one or both ventral fins :(. I never thought I'd have this problem, this was going to be my "perfect" spawn. The good news is that its not genetic and they are perfectly fine to breed, but no one wants ventraless fish when it comes time to sell these guys. I'm very glad that it was a small spawn if I end up keeping them all!

Alexa - who promises to do a better job at cleaning the bottom of the fry tank next time.

Mar 11, 2003
Oh I don't think they are stunted at all! That's a pretty good size for 9 weeks. Mine are 5 weeks and are ------ about that long. I guess that's the normal size, but they seem pretty small. One batch I did stunt and the bettas are now two and only an inch long! They're pretty cute and I've noticed that the cambodian one is getting a little bigger. Haha, they never got big enough for me to tell if they were male or female.

Mar 11, 2003
Well, I've encountered another problem, and this time I wanted to cry! Today, two of my fry choked on their food and died. They were the bigger ones too, and I was just getting ready to jar them. I was so disappointed and yet amazed that the younger ones have not choked. It seems that they might not be ready for dry foods yet, so I might have to start using egg yolk. I really hate feeding egg because of how dirty it is, but now since I change their water all the time anyway, its worth a try and nothing compares to how much it helps them grow.