SPEAKING OF CLEANING...!~

thanks,
i am sure i am getting the tank now, i will either get it tomorrow or on the weekend!
lol, insane thanksgiving sales. lmao. uhm, i was wondering, with all of the stuff (i will be getting the filter and the protein skimmer, and i have aleready put in an order for live rock, how often do you thinkit will be necessarly for me to clean my tank (55 gallon)?

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about fish for another month maybe 2 the cycling process is the most important part of setting up your tank I would just let your tank cycle and don't get in a hurry... You can take a look around fish stores in the mean time and find one you like I like percula and maroon clowns, and I also like lions as well Lions are also a venomous fish so i don't know if you would want that

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...I can see people with small children, or pets that might stick their hands in the tank. Or some people might worry when they do tank maintance. 95% of people get stung by lions when they do tank maintance.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i'm assuming you are doing research--you might gain some good ideas in there....
personally, if i had a 55 gallon tank, i would go reef, and have a handful of small fish in it...but that's me

about the lionfish--i ran across a similar story here on mft months ago: a man's dog died when it ingested toxins from coral fragments
you could still get a lionfish if you dont have any small children or pets that are capable of coming in contact with it--as for maintenance, a pair of thick gloves would work

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I actually algae clean my glass every 2 or 3 days, water change 10% once a week.
I try to never muck around with my hands in my tank as it's not good for the tank or me. I have been cut/spiked handling live rock a few times and had a couple of fingers go numb from handling things(zonathids I think)

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If you dont want to mess with a tank with a lion in it i would'nt ever concider getting a stone fish. IT WILL KILL YOU.

Has anyone every seen one? I think they are cool but my girlfriend wont let me get it so..

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea it is, they are cool looking and a lot of fun to feed, a real thrill, but if your going to have a poison tank my advice it to make good friends with your local paramedics because, with the law of numbers they will be inevitably be paying you a visit. My old boss had a few really close calls with his stone fish.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Never clean the glass front. You won't see inside a lot of tanks after a month doing that. All marine tanks have algae, you just need to manage it.

15% a week on a 55 = 8 gallons a week, or 2 normal sized buckets a week. Not really abnormal if you think about it. I know people who do more, or do much, much less. You have to see what works.