Spitting Food???

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
Has anybody any ideas why my goldfish would be spitting out their food. They eat a piece, spit it back out and the n eat another piece, doing the same. I try to break up the flakes into smaller pieces when I feed them. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
How often are you feeding them? And do they eat any before they begin to spit it out? Do they start spitting it out a minute or two into the feeding, or immediately? Do they look thin or have any symptoms of illness? What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
They spit the food after about 2 seconds. I feed them twice a day. Ammonia level is 0mg/L. Ph is 8 and nitrate is 0. Just tested 1 hour ago after I did a 20% change. They look healthy and I am feeding them the same food as always.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
my fish spit out pellets becusa they dont like them. i've spoiled them with live and frozen foods since i've had them and am trying to ween them onto pellets (for convenience).

do they spit out all the colors or is there one colored flake they spit out more than others? what had they been eating before this?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i had a betta once a long time ago that always refused the green flakes. honestly i dont know if they all have different flavors or *what*, but all i knew was that it wouldn't ever go for the green ones.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yeah, I've had this happen too. Maybe it's because the green ones are more "veggie-like" and the pink ones are more "meaty"---I'm probably oversimplifying things, but who knows?:confused:

Big Vine

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
Some food colorings can have a bitter taste. Used to eat these little candies went I was a kid. Can't remember what they are now. The red candies were sooooo bitter but the orange ones were great.

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
Csilover said:
Must... Resist... Urge to... EAT FISH FOOD!
ROFL! I suppose it couldn't be bad for you... hehe! :)

I've seen my fish spit out food too. I'm thinking it may be because they're overfed -- I know I'm feeding too often, and I'm starting to be able to resist the temptation to do it. Maybe they grab the food because it's their instinct, but then they realize they're not hungry after all and let it go.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Ya, with my betta he spits out food when i give him a little extra, occassionally. He also spit out his food when he was really under the weather. But that was more of a vomit-like spitup, he ate his food and then a few minutes later it all came "rolling out" - it was pretty sad looking to see a fish throwup :( And I'd have to agree about the flakes, our fish (in our old community tank a few years back) would always rush to get the red flakes but steered away from the yellow and green ones, there were ok with the brown flakes, but they definitely favored the "meaty" ones :]

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
Guys. This has been a very informative thread.*thumbsup2 I think that my question has been well and truly answered. The best part has been the entertainment*SUPERSMIL . As a newcomer to this site , I will definately be staying. Getting the right info and having a chuckle aswell. What more could anyone ask for. Now I'm off to sample the fish food. I think I'll be the one spitting after this.:p

Cheers Guys*celebrate
Jobeak