Spoiled pleco?

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
So I'm finally starting to see some algae, and I'm wondering if perhaps my pleco has gotten spoiled by the algae tablets because he doesn't seem to be interested at all in the "real thing". Should I start skipping feedings and see if he'll eat some of the algae, or just clean it away and keep with the tablets? I'm sure the tablets are nutritionally balanced, so that's not my concern... but what can I do about unsightly algae that's starting to frost the rocks? I've read up on brown algae, and the "cure" that was mentioned was to get a pleco!! :confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
~Qrystal~

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Yep, Yahoo's right. Plecs get lazy really easily :eek: When they're small, they usually clean, but as they grow, they like those algae disks more and more. I don't think I have a single Pleco that actually cleans for me. Otos are pretty good, though my small army of them died off pretty easily.

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
I have a pleco, and i dont feed him tablets. He seems to clean fairly well, but he doesnt seem to like my glass. (only like my seatures). But what he does clean, he cleans darn well.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
My pleco spends all day behind the filter intake and the driftwood. at night he just sits in the middle of the tank and does nothing. but at least it's cool looking.