Spontaneous Snail Generation?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Ok..I just found a baby snail crawling on my tank wall, which I immediately scooped out.

I'm a little perplexed because I cant figure out how it got there in the first place!

I havent brought any new plants in over 6 monthes. I've only introduced a otto catfish and a dwarf frog since that time.

How could a snail have hitchiked into my tank? Could it have been on my otto or frog? Doesnt seem likely...

The only other thing I could think of was that I just started using frozen bloodworms as food. But I dont think snails would be in those frozen cubes? let alone survive the deep freeze?

Any clues?

thanks

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Some snails can come in as eggs on plants, or even just in the water. It may have taken this long for it to hatch and get large enough for you to see it.

I've got many in my 5 gallon of the hitch-hiker snails and I'm starting to grow fond of them. Some look similar to an apple snail, only about 1/4 of the size. It's pretty neat to just see what pops up in a tank sometimes.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
it was pretty small..about the size of a grain of rice. The shell wasnt even fully formed.

I supposed it could have hitchhiked several monthes ago and I just didnt see it till now. I just dont want it to eat all my plants...

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I had a snail magically appear in my 20g a good 2 months after its initial setup. A month later, there were 100+ of them... never could figure out how one snail made a 100 more :eek:

But now, my Clown Loaches have some really nice things to snack on ;)