Spotting Brown Algae?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I just got an Otto about a month ago and was wondering if there is enough brown algae in the tank for it to eat. I have a heavily planted tank and was wondering how to spot brown algae, which is what is likes to eat.

Is brown algae a fuzzy kind of algae? Or does it appear as brown spots? or?

I see that there are some brownish areas on part of my plants but am not sure if its algae or not.

Does anyone have pics or links to good sites about brown algae ?

thanks

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Thanks for the link TLM..it was a very informative article. After reading it I dont think there is much brown algae in my tank.

My otto is always swimming around sucking on stuff but its belly is not full as a pea..it seems a bit flat.

What do you guys feed your ottos?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Brown Algae or Diatoms are usually the first algae type to appear and the first to dissappear from your tank.They are the most basic of all the different types.Once the water parameters have settled down and plants or other types of algae start growing they soon get taken over.Not that I have Otto's but I tend to just scrape the front glass and leave the back to itself.That way there is always a seed ground for new algae spores I suppose.

As to other food Algae wafers and any vegetable matter you have scraps of really.just remember to remove the excess if it doesn't get eaten.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I never had a whole lot of luck feeding ottos algae wafers and the like. Sometimes that brown algae can come from lots of low light, so if you have an area of your tank that is completely/mostly shaded its possible that you're growing enough for him. But like homebunny said the best indicator that they're getting enough is to keep an eye on their tummy. They dont always look like they swallowed a pea...but just watch to make sure its at least looking puffy and not sunken in.