SQWD (sp)

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Has anyone ever heard of a SQWD? It's apparently a powerhead that sends out water on opposite sides of the tank and alternates output flow every 15 minutes or so?

I was told that if I wanted any anemones i should invest in one. Also, does anyone know of a price?

Thanks

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
SCWD - Switching Current Water Director

It is not at all a powerhead. It is an alternating valve that you plumb into a pump, usually an external one. How fast it alternates depends on how much pressure it receives, the higher the pressure, the more frequent the alternation. It is just a wavemaker, and is not at all necessary for keeping an anemone. Anemones just want flow, alternation doesn't matter so much.

Drs. Foster and Smith - SCWD $30

They're pretty cool, I've thought of getting one.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Thanks, No wonder i wasn't finding anything on google. I was searching SQWD.

So really, its not at all required for animones. thats odd. I was talking to some guy and he informed me that the animones not only like it but require it for good health. Why do I even talk to other people????? He was a little crazy now that I think about it. Told me to get a dead fish, blend it and throw it into my tank to start a cycle. I mean it makes sense but come on!

Thats for the info.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Hey Aresgod, Yeah I know... I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, just thought i would do some research on them and find out basic requirements. Probably pick up one in atleat 2007 or when I can afford their lighting requirements.

:)

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Wow That one looks awsome. Do you need to drill the tanks for this or no? Right now my tank is not drilled and don't really want to as i don't have the equipment to do it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you can run the SCWD without a drilled tank but you would have to put it on the return end of a closed loop. It won't work very well in your tank imo because you need a pretty good amount of water pressure to get it to work nicely...at least a pump which puts out a few hundred GPH