standard size 55 lid options

Oct 11, 2005
im looking for a new top. now i have the standard black top. im looking for another way. maybe some cut glass? i have t8 bulbs but i'd like to have more than just the standard two. im a very poor so price is a large factor.

Oct 24, 2005
I was thinking about making my own glass top. I have the generic on that came with my 55 gallon and the lights are too close to the filter so if we bump the lid the light on the filter side blinks off. I was going to have some glass cut to size then use those rubber hinge things (if I could find them). I'm still trying to figure out how to do the handle to lift the lid and the cut-outs for the filter.

Hopefully someone has done this before and can help us both out.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
PetSmart sells the glass lids for a reasonable price -- check there first if there's one local to you and double check the price on their website since they'll pricematch if you print the page out. For handles, you can glue something to the tops with aquarium sealant or just make the entire handle out of sealant globbed on however you like it. I don't know where you can get the hinges, but it wouldn't hurt to call some glass shops. I could use a hinge for one of my 46 bowfronts.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
One thing you can do that I have done in the past is put the pieces of glass on top of the tank you had cut...run a bead of silicone across the gap and smooth it down with a putty knife and let it dry...whalaaa you have a hinge and it works GREAT and lasts a long time...for handles you can cut small pieces of pcv pipe and again use the silicone and glue it to the lid...my lfs has lots of handles on his tanks like that.....

Oct 11, 2005
check out my new lid. im going to get some glass cut and silicon hinges and two handels. what should i use for my lights that'll look good and cheap. also i was thinking of useing about a 1/4'' for the gaps for the hindges

Attachments