Star burst polyps

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have been researching this coral lately and when I went to the LFS today that had a small frag for $10. I decided to pass on the sun coral since they wanted $50 for a small frag. Although, I'll try to find a cheaper frag of it. Anyway, how long does it take for a star burst to come back out once introduced? I read that they can take a while to come out, but would like some input from you guys.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
are these green star polyps that look similar to waving grass when fully extended? if so mine go in when disturbed but usually come out after an hour or so. Though after I introduced them to my main display after about a month they retracted and didn't come out for a week. I thought it had died and removed the frag I had purchased and put it in my small 20g tank to see if I could revive it. Well needless to say it has now spread everywhere.....it is an encrusting type with a purple mat and green polyps.....give it time.....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Yeah, it was a small green frag and I know it would be ok in my tank. I check this am and they were just starting to poke out. My tank does have a good amount of flow about 1500 GPH of flow, I would have another 300 maxi but it's being used in QT. So they are getting enough flow I made sure they were in a good area to get flow and grow. Will the encrusting stuff attach to the rock?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It will attach everywhere......I even had some growing up the stalk of my toadstool.....and if you place a piece of rubble rock beside them they will grow over the rock and you now have your very own frag......painless....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes and detritus will get caught in them sometimes too. I saw a bunch of snails giving mine the once over the other day........keeping them clean.