starfish temp.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
you should definitely invest in a heater...room temp is always fluctuating and its better to be safe then sorry. like supra said it depends on the starfish...linkias dont like really hit temperatures.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I agree. Room Temp doesn't mean jack on the inside of the tank, and if you ever have a cold day and your house heater breaks, or the temp drops, your going to run the risk of losing the whole tank. Plus you should notice a nice perk up from your Tang once the temp is more consistent. They like things to be consistent across the boards, water perams, temp., etc.

Nov 24, 2008
I have a question while we are on the subject. I have 3 snails and 3 hermit crabs in my tank. no fish as yet, this morning i got up and saw one of the snails upside down not moving at the bottom of the tank. all of the other inverts are alive but motionless. temp was about 78, nitrates <12.5meq/l, pH about 7.8...what could have caused this?? they were doing fine for weeks, im just about ready to get fish but im thinking twice since seeing my inverts behave so funny

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Pull the Snail out of the tank if he is dead. Take a sample with you to your LFS and have it tested. Not sure why, but it could have been just a normal snail death. They can dig deeper into your water perams, and see if you need to add anything else into your water to make it more stable. But make sure you get the dead guy out and keep an eye on the rest in the meantime.

When was the last water change? Also how long has the tank been setup?

Nov 24, 2008
the tank has been set up since the beginning of December, its a 48x18x18 with a sump and algae turf scrubber, so about 75gal. there is no lfs where i live so im kinda on my own..lol. i have LR with crushed coral in there, i figured that the longer i have it cycling the better, so the tank has been cycling for almost 2months now. the snail is not dead, he is just lethargic. everyone is the tank is alive but really lazy....i was just wondering if this is something to do with the water quality or am i just overreacting....

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Well with all of that gear I don't think you would have an issue with your water params. Snails and crabs die off randomly and I'm not too sure why, maybe someone else on here knows. I have had the same problems and my water was perfect. But just keep an eye on them, and try and find a LFS to help out with the testing of your water.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Astrea snails if they fall and land upside down they can not right them selves. My turbo snails are more active at night as are some of the other snails....they are not real movers and shakers.

Nov 24, 2008
The snail is not dead, he is just very lethargic, the tank has been up for like 2 months now cycling with LR and crushed coral. i also have an algae turf scrubber. all the parameters seem ok besides pH. i was wondering if its normal for all the inverts to get really lazy and stay in the same place all the time or is this an indication of something worse. shall i wait to add fish??...i was thinking they were a little hungry because im not adding food into the system (ie feeding fish)....thanks for the help though