starfish

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I just noticed this starfish in my tank today. have not added anything to the tank in about 3 weeks, it had to be a hitch hiker from the coral I bought. I don't have the best camera, but I took some pics but I don't know if they will help in identifying what kind it is.

Attachments

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
Asterina. They reproduce by dividing and you will likely see more over time. They also will develop variable numbers of arms. I have some with seven or eight.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
ok so they are not from what I was suspecting. now I know alot of starfish eat coral. are these bad for my tank and should I remove them as I find them? and how big do they get? cause I've found 2 more in the tank. hard to see them on the live rock as they kinda got a blue/grey color.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I been reserching it and there are ALOT of mixed reviews about these little guys. some say they eat coral and some say they will not. and yet others say only ones of certin color eat coral and other colors are ok. some say they will reach the size of a pencil eraser and others say a dime.

Now I'm used to mixed reviews and such about cichlids on different sites but my god there are alot of mixed reviews on salt water things. but as long as they leave my coral alone they can live, divide, and thrive as long as they want. they can be part of my lil clean up crew.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Supposedly there are some that are predators but my tanks have always had tons of them and not hurt anything but algae. They can get up to about a dime size but that's not common. Usually they are about the size or a little bigger than the one in your picture.