staring fishless cycle, made mistake

Jan 11, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I am starting a new aquarium and am doing it with the fishless cycle. its a 10g tank. I add 1 tablespoon and waited an hour before testing. When I did test it, from the kit, i got that it had about 1ppm. So then I added 2 more tablespoons since 1 seemed to get me about 1ppm and that would at least increase it up to 3ppm if not a little more.

While I was doing that, I did not throw away the tested water. When i was going to dump it, i saw that it was darker, meaning it was at a higher ppm. I looked and it was at about 4ppm.

So now that i have about 3 times the dose I needed, should I just let it be as it is now or do a water change? If i should do a water change, how much should I change?

Jan 11, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Its been a few days over a week now that I have my tank running. I did about 2 70% water changes to bring the ammonia down and now it is in the 2-3ppm range. I am going to leave it there for now.

But I have yet to see any decrease in the ammonia by itself nor have I seen any nitrites yet. Any idea what else I could do, other than seeding the tank?

Jan 11, 2003
New Jersey, USA
ok well my tank hasnt cycled yet. My ammonia keeps dropping to about .5ppm every 2-3 days but my nitrite is stayin at 5ppm. It has not gone down after increasein. It has been about a week and a half since its gone up that high. What should be my next step?

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
as everyone is saying, it takes as long as it takes, everyone here is dead on what occurs, & when. If there is no livestock in the tank, relax. I wouldn't even do the 70% water changes, esp if there is NO livestock to worry about. Just gives the bacteria that "eats" the stuff, more to eat. (BUFFET STYLE, ALL THEY CAN EAT!)

One time, you'll be looking at nitrites off the chart, then a few days later, "Hey.. Where did they go, they are at zero, and ammonia is at Zero, and my nitrates are climbing." THEN.. do a water change, and start stocking SLOWLY with fish and inverts.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Just do a largish water change (50 to 70 percent) and rinse the filter out in some old tank water. It would be a good idea to test again a few hours after the water change, or before you go to the store, just to make sure. Then, you should be good to add fish.