started fishless cycle 5 days ago

Jul 22, 2007
Hi- I am new to the forum as I have lurked for awhile. Question is I started this 5 days ago and I am not sure of one thing. History-

35 gallon hex tank,
new fluval 205 filter
top fin heater

(I have had this tank for about 10 years housing firebellied toads, #1 firebellied newt, and #1 very small guppy (I think) The guppy was put in as food for the toad but has made it about 2yrs now. I relocated the toad, newt, and guppy to a smaller tank so I could use the 35g for fish. I emptied and tossed old gravel (minus a stocking full) and filled tank with new gravel (stocking of old gravel), tap water (using chlor out), and some decorations including a aerator. Also, 1 larger plant from toad tank, and one new plant.
Problem is I added about 1/2 cup of clear ammonia bought at Walmart and when I tested it using test strips I got a result off the chart (I am assuming) The color I got back was darker then the darkest on the chart. I retested today. day 5 with same dark result.
My concern is that since I added more then the chart recognizes (0ppm - 6ppm) that it would be too much for the bacteria to start up?

Any ideas?
Should I empty some water out and get the level down or just ignore my results and retest in a week or so?

thanks great forum!!

Rob

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

It does sound like you added too much ammonia. I think I would have added about two teaspoons to a tank that size.

I think a large water change will help. I think if you have that much ammonia (off the charts), it will inhibit bacteria growth.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I totally agree w/ Lotus. First time I added ammonia to the tank I added WAY too much and couldn't figure out why my ammonia wasn't going down :) Sounds familiar. I'd change out as much water as you can and then turn the filter back on and allow everything to mix for an hour or so and test again. I usually shoot for something in the middle 4 or so ppm so that I can tell when it moves and that its not high off the chart.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Same here! The first time I did it, I added WAY too much! It will eventually go down, but you can speed up the process a lot by doing a large water change. Do as many water changes as it takes to get the levels down to 5ppm. Your cycle will go a lot faster. ;) Then make sure to only add a few drops each time afterwards!

Jul 22, 2007
thanks guys

I have done a water change today, about 70%, new reading is what appears to be just above 6 as the color is just slightly darker on the chart then 6.

Question- the gravel I used from the last tank, is it any good? Did I sterilize it or just prevent the bacteria from populating?

Thanks

rob

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Bacteria in gravel will need food to survive the move. If it has dried out or gone for more than a few days without fish or ammonia in the tank with it, the bacteria will have died. It also may have died with such high levels of ammonia in the tank, you'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Jul 22, 2007
update- It has been roughly 72 hrs since the 70% water change and my ammonia levels are still the same (6+) As far as I can tell there are no levels for the nitrites or nitrates.

So, I did another water change about 25% new ammonia level appeared to to the lesser of the 6 range. Next I brought the filter from my 5 gallon tank and plugged it in. Hope that does the trick! I am anxious as I thought I would have had something happen by now even with my original ammonia problem of adding too much.

rob

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Is your 5g tank up and running with stock in it? If so, that filter should seed your other filter well :) Other thing you could do is take the filter cartridge out and swish it in the water of your new tank. That will transfer some "gunk" and bacteria into the new tank to seed that filter.