Starting a 29gal Saltwater Tank?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I have a 29gal freshwater tank right now and I am getting a 75 gal freshwater planted tank..

I am thinking of keeping the 29gal and making it into a SW tank.. Can the same filter be used with SW? Marineland biowheel 350. heaters shouldn't have to be changed right? other than getting new substrate what else would I have to get?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would check out the stickies at the top of this forum. They have lots of good info and will give you a better idea what you're going to need to do. You don't really need a filter with SW, just some powerheads to move the water around and a whole bunch of live rock (this will be your main expense).

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I'm no expert but...

Yes you could use the filter, though it probably won't serve any real purpose other then water movement and maybe taking some of the big chunks of floating garbage out of the water. And even then its probably not enough flow for the tank so you'll want to add some powerheads and such.

Heaters can stay.

Reef tank with coral or fish only with LR? Big question there. If you want coral you want to upgrade your lighting which will then be your biggest expense. Other then that you'll just need powerheads, live rock, saltwater, SW test kits, and not much else.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I'm no expert but...

Yes you could use the filter, though it probably won't serve any real purpose other then water movement and maybe taking some of the big chunks of floating garbage out of the water. And even then its probably not enough flow for the tank so you'll want to add some powerheads and such.

Heaters can stay.

Reef tank with coral or fish only with LR? Big question there. If you want coral you want to upgrade your lighting which will then be your biggest expense. Other then that you'll just need powerheads, live rock, saltwater, SW test kits, and not much else.
I have a penguin powerhead now that is rated at 175gph flow.. would that be good enough for a 29? so what filters the water then? sorry stupid ?'s