starting a 40 gal.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Hi all, im ussaly talking in the salt water forums but, me and my dad are setting up his 40 gal long. It is going to be fresh water of course. Im going to run a fluval 304 and a 150 watt heater. It will have the usual air hose going in there but thats all. It will be a tropical tank. You guys think im missing anything? Besides the water conditoners(aquarium salt, water declorinator...) im just going to run the pre filter,carbin and foam in the fluval. thanks all let me know what you think...

-sean

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sean - I think you need to add something else in that fluval besides foam. Did you get it new? If so it usually comes with some ceramic cylinders that work really well for colonizing bacteria on and you should fill at least a basket with that. The carbon is not so important in Freshwater...many people dont even use it at all unless its to take medication out of the water or other specific reasons.

Have you read through the freshwater beginner stickies? Even though there are a lot of similarities between SW and FW, there are still a lot more things that are different...such as the FW cycling process when you first set up a tank etc. Ecotank wrote a pretty good general "how to set up a tank", you might take a look at it. http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19568

Sep 8, 2005
You add ammonia if you are doing a fish-less cycle. If you are doing the bio-spira [which is great stuff by the way] you can add your fish immediately. As far as filters i usually add a Hob along with a canister. Aquaclear or penguin are good ones in my experience. And actually if you have not bought the fluval a rena filstar xp3 is the bomb and cheap at bigals. I have a fluval, xp3 and an eheim and i am in love with the xp3. Have fun!!

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I added aquarium salt to my aquarium when I was keeping freshwater under the advice of a LFS. I was told that it helps to ward off disease and it did enable me to keep more brackish fish such as green puffers and my fav old fish, a scat. Noone else seemed to mind it. I never was able to grow plants with any success from that day forward though.
Good luck man. *thumbsups

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Cycling with fish in a freshwater tank is equivalent to cycling a SW tank with damsels... it's unnecessary and harms fish. There are a bunch of stickies at the top of this forum about fishless cycling.

Few people these days use salt in freshwater tanks. With the powerheads, some freshwater fish prefer calmer water (especially those from lakes). You can add a second filter to the tank, if you feel the water flow isn't enough. I'd say on a 40g, you won't really need too much extra flow.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
cool, thanks Lotus. Thats what I was basicly wondering(if the 304 was enough filter for the tank) Because it is raited for up to a 60 gal. I guess salt water, and fresh water realy very in the water flow area. Deling with salt you almost want a freekin worl pool going on lol. hope you all are having a mary christmas.