Starting a 70 Gallon Saltwater Tank

S-Blev

New Fish
Nov 20, 2010
Cali
Hello, my name is Steven. About 5 years ago I started a 20 gallon saltwater tank and ended up stopping it. I was younger and didn't want to keep up on the maintenance that was needed. I feel I'm ready to take on the challenge and responsibility and wanted to do it the right way. The only problem is, is that I forgot most of my knowledge hah. So here I am wanting to know the best way to go about doing it.

As of now, I got my tank, stand, and standard lighting set up. I'm going to start off with fish for now and in the future eventually get coral and upgrade my lighting system.

So, tomorrow I am planning on buying the essentials to get a tank started (salt, filter, sand, live rock, etc.). Right now should I worry about buying a sump or just stick with a filter that hooks to the back of my tank? Depending on the money situation of course, I don't know if I'm financially ready for a sump. If you have knowledge on how much you think a sump would be please let me know. If I decide just to get a regular filter, what is a good kind to get and how many?

Also, if I were to put my tank near (not next to) my sliding glass door and mostly kept the blinds closed, would that be an okay area to where I'm not growing a lot of algae? I could put the tank in my room but I want to enjoy it and the only possible place would be near it. If you have any help even if I didn't touch base on it yet, please let me know. The more the better I'm off! Thank you...

S-Blev

New Fish
Nov 20, 2010
Cali
So today I went down to a local store where I live. One of my friends used to work at this aquarium store and it was the store that I used to go to when I had my old tank. I trust the owner very much and he has been in this business for over 30 years. I ordered a sump, overflow, and pump from him so my filtration is taken care of and I'll have it on Tuesday. My buddy and I will get the pipes needed for my tank and should hopefully have it up and running starting Tuesday then let it start cycling with live rock for a couple weeks.

On a 70 gallon tank, it is good to have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon correct? Also, does anyone know of any good water purifiers that I can buy so that I can make my own water for my tank instead of paying $1.25 a gallon for each water change I do?

When I am ready for fish, I think I'm going to get some Chromis. What is a good amount to buy since they like to be in schools and the best amount to make the cycling process better?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'd do this:
1. get everything setup with LR like you said and leave it for a few weeks
2. once youre past the diatom stage get your CUC animals.
3. a month or so after everything is fine with the CUC get the chromis.

this way youre slowly building the bioload of the tank instead of just overloading it from the start. if you buy good LR rock you may not have an intense cycle at all. Of course testing the water is a given. you dont add anything if you dont have 0 ammonia and nitrite. try to keep nitrates ultimately below 20 ppm. easier to do at the start than when youre loaded with fish, so work out a good stocking plan and dont go too crazy on the fish lol.

1-2 lbs per gallon is good. not all has to be LR but if you have the $$ then go for it :p

I'd say around 8-10 chromis for a very nice mid-top level school of fish :)
There are many brands of RO/DI filters. I own a Spectrapure one. shop around online to see what the best prices are, and definitely try to buy the filter when the company has a sale! you will save good money, as these things get expensive.

S-Blev

New Fish
Nov 20, 2010
Cali
Thanks for the tips. I have good people to help me but any questions I have when they aren't around I'll come on here. So over all I ask here then I ask them and get the best for what I need. Snails and shrimp are best off the bat or just snails? As far as making my own water, how does that whole thing work? Is it just something I put water in and it takes out all the bad stuff or what?

I asked the owner at the store but not my friend yet, but I live in a house where there isn't direct sun light coming in. My house faces north and my backyard faces south and I have a wall that has a window and was wondering if it would be okay to put my tank half in front of the wall and half in front of the window? The owner of the store thought it would be okay since like I said there is no sun beaming in and I usually keep the shades closed. I will get something for the back of the tank so you can't see through my tank to my wall so sun would never be hitting my tank. I just don't want to put the tank in my bedroom where I am hardly seeing the beautiful fish.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
An RO unit (to make water) is something you hook up to your plumbing. Water goes from the pipe, through the unit, then out through tubing into a bucket. It's really important you use RO/DI water if you want corals.

The sun may be more of a problem with heat than algae. If you keep the blinds closed, it should be OK.