Starting a new 120gallon aquarium

Apr 12, 2006
Hey there - I'm looking into purchasing a 120gallon aquarium and I'm trying to figure out what size of a filter and heater I'll need. Right now I have a an ID shark, a rainbow shark, and a rather large pleco, and I'll most likely get a few more sharks as well.

What else will I need to purchase? I was told it's roughly a pound of gravel for each gallon...will I need an aerator as well?

Thanks!

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Hey there and Welcome to the tank! That is awesome setting up a 120...I have a 125 myself. For the best filtration I think a Rena Filstar XP3 is best of course which is what I have on my big tank. I love the fact that you can customize the trays in the system for your needs depending on what fish you decide on. I also have a 300watt stealth heater...some ppl like to put two heaters one in ea. corner incase one gives out..Ive never done that but it does sound like a good idea. For added filtration and protection against any failure I also have a hang on the back filtration filter as well.. Yes a pound of gravel/sand per gallon is pretty good. The only reason you would have "air" lines going into the tank is for more water agitation as it really doesnt put more air into the tank as most ppl think. So what are your plans for fish to inhabit the top layer and middle layer of your tank? Please be sure to do lots of research on the fish and their ability to be compatable, believe me it will save you headaches before they happen. Good luck and welcome to the world of fishkeeping!!

Last edited: