starting a tank

dvo112

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i have a 55 gallon aquarium that is not set up or anything. after about a month of trying to figure out what to do with it, i thought i might start a cichlid tank. the problem is that i don't know anything about them. i currently have a 20L freshwater with some danios, neons and a red tailed black shark. i wanted to start something with a lot more color though. any help? anything on equipment, setups or fish would help. sorry for the long post :-/

MbunaGal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
communities.msn.com
Well, that's a lot of ground to cover there!!  ;D  So I'm gonna recommend some sites.  Take a few hours and just scrounge through them!  Have fun!!

http://www.cichlids.com/index.php3

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/

Feel free to ask any more questions!!

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Some beautiful cichlids to add to a planted tank are angelfish. Or you could do discus.

Africans are cool and those sites should help. Convicts and firemouths are cool too. You will love any cichlid you get. ;D Oh and BTW that post isn't long! Haha. Good luck on the tank. ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
why do you guys keep recomending discus to begginers?? I just don't get why you'd do that! You need a fair bit of expeirience to even attempt keeping a healthy tank for them.

What kind of cichlids were you looking at dvo? Did you want to plant it or keep it rocky?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
He didn't say he was a begginer overall he just said he had never kept cichlids. I agree discus are only for advanced aquariest and I am not sure I would even atempt to keep them myself. I am sorry I should have made that clear in the first post. Angelfish would be really good though. ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes. You will come to expect and to love it. ;) She is great though. Don't take her so seriously she's just that way. You come to enjoy her around. Good kitten. ;) :D ;D :-*

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
EXCUSE me razorblade! I don't think i was being bitchy at all. It's just the way i write, I say what i'm thinking and if you take it as being bitchy, thats your problem, i don't need your approval :p

:)P to you too ryan!)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
HOW did that sound bitchy? Someone please explain to me why people have a problem with the way i post! Is it because i don't suck up everyones butt, or because i speak my mind and am honest with everyone?

(sorry for going off topic arcab...you wanna move it to the lounge? I'd like to know what the problem is)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well kitten I was not trying to offend you at all. I don't think your post was beatchy at all! I love the way you post because like you said you speak your mind and don't suck up just to please people. I like the way you post personally and I was just kiddin' around. Don't think I was trying to offend you at all because I wasn't. ;D :-* :D :) 8)

Don't be mad! I still love having you around! :)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'm not offended Ryan...i just didn't get why that was seen as bitchy....like i said, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, i just don't get what the problem is.

thats all i'm gonna say.