Starting new 75 gallon tank

Brian770

Small Fish
Jun 15, 2009
Hello all, somewhat new to the forum. I am in the process of setting up a new 75 gallon SW tank. I had a question regarding overflow/sump. My tank does not have a built in overflow inside and was wondering if a hang on overfow box on the back would work. I was thinking about something like an Eshopps 800 GPH overflow box. Also, what would be a good method of returning the water to the display tank from the sump? Would a run of PVC up the back of the tank work good? I am not really crazy about drilling holes in the side of my tank.

Thanks,

Brian

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
for the return pump, you could use that :

I used an overflow box on my 77g and it never failed, but there is a risk. If air gets in the u-tube, you're screwed and it's a flood party. But..some drill their u-tube, or some overflow boxes have already an air pump and a hole in the tube like this one :
wich limits messy accidents.

Brian770

Small Fish
Jun 15, 2009
I picked up a 30 gallon aquarium to use as my sump and I have found a layout on the internet that I will be using, but I am not sure what thickness of acryic to get for my baffles. Any suggestions?

Brian770

Small Fish
Jun 15, 2009
Well good news. I did a leak test on my sump last night and I am happy to say that it holds water and there are no leaks. Its not the prettiest caulking job in the world but as long as it does the job, I'm happy.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if the tank is empty and the glass isnt tempered i wouldnt even think twice about drilling/having it drilled... ive used an overflow box in the past but after drilling my 125g ill never own another undrilled tank ;) honestly if u dont feel comfertable drilling it yourself i would either have someone else do it for you or sell that tank and buy a predrilled one but thats just me

Brian770

Small Fish
Jun 15, 2009
Only the bottom is tempered glass, the sides are not. I'm not going to sell the tank and get a new one thats drilled. I found the tank and stand on craigslist and it is a nice tank. I know several people who have had HOB overflow boxes and have had no problems with them. I thank you for your advice, but right now I'm going to stick with what I have