Starting New Saltwater tank

bg3489

New Fish
May 17, 2006
I am looking to set up around a 100-125 gallon salt water tank. This is my first tank and I was wondering what was best to put in this size tank. I was thinking sharks and rays possibly but is this tank big enough for them to live comfortably? and if so what kind of fish work well with the sharks? Any suggestions for the tank or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
this tank is not large enough for sharks or rays...and i personally don't think they belong in home aquairums at all. Are you planning to make this tank a reef? or a fish only tank? my best advice would be to be pick up a couple books and start reading. a good starter book is "new marine aquarium" by mike palleta

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
sorry, no sharks or rays. tank is way too small, and probably not shaped correctly either. keep in mind that even the smallest and heartiest of sharks will grow to at least 3 feet and quickly. sharks must swim to breathe or have tons of current (even the bottom dwellers require this) hence the reason for huge tanks to keep them. plus, they need absolutely perfect water conditions and stress very easily, so only the most experienced of hobbiest should even make an attempt.

the book camaro advises is excellent, and a great place to start.