Starting out...

Mar 4, 2009
NJ
I started my tank yesterday.... added about 1-2 inches of flourite with a thin layer of colored gravel on top. I attempted to wash some flourite, but the strainer's holes were too big and it became a huge mess. So the flourite in the tank is not rinsed. The water is very cloudy... the filter has cleared it up a tiny bit. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I keep the filter going? Do I do a water change?

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
Keep the filter going and just wait it out.

It'd probably be beneficial to add some sort of bacterial supplement to give you tank a jump start, such as the "start-right" by jungle, or some of the many others available at your LFS.

How big is the tank? Did you add all of your other stuff to it too?

Mar 4, 2009
NJ
I figured it was a matter of waiting it out, but I wasn't entirely sure.

My tank is only 10 gallons.... and I will do a fishless cycle. I have everything up and running (filter, heater, etc.). I added aqusafe to the water immediately. Once the water clears, I'll figure out where the driftwood and plants will go. Then I'll add ammonia and get the tank cycling.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
When I first added Flourite to my tank it was very cloudy, too (despite a brief rinse). If you do water changes using a siphon you can pull out some of that excess sand. Work slow and just lightly press the tube to the surface of the substrate and it will pull up the sand.
Also make sure you rinse out your filter when you do a water change. Just swish it around in the old tank water that is removed. Once I forgot to rinse my filter before adding fresh water, and guess what... cloudy again... d'oh! lol.

Mar 4, 2009
NJ
I added ammonia yesterday (a tad too much).... while I wait for the tank to cycle, I wanted to ask your opinion on fish/shrimp. I really like neon/cardinal tetras as well as cherry shrimp. I have to admit I'm quite intrigued by the cherry shrimp, and might consider only getting them.

For a 10 gallon planted tank:
How many neon/cardinal tetras and cherry shrimp?
or
How many cherry shrimp?