Starting Over

Jan 25, 2010
Orange Texas
Ok, so years ago, I had SEVERAL aquariums, all shapes and sizes and I was seriously addicted. Due to a messy divorce and subsequent ickiness, I lost all of my aquariums. I recently got a 10gal for Christmas, and got a few Tiger Barbs, Tetras and Mollies for starters. A few days ago, a friend gave me a 29gal. I have it all set up and it is cycling, I dropped in a common pleco and one of my Mollies for now, to help cycle the tank. Before, I had African Cichlids in my biggest tanks, but now I'm thinking I'm not sure I want to go that route. My new husband wants "bigger fish" and I like semi-active fish. Coloration of course is a factor, but not the deciding one. Any suggestions?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
well welcome back to the hobby and to MFT :) You could do a search for "dream tank" or "favorite fish" we seem to have quite a few of those threads where people talk about their favorite setups and for whatever reasons. For instance I have kept a lot of different fish and a few have special places for me that I'd like to keep again...like harlequin rasboras. Teeny little guys but darn if they aren't active and cute and pretty when they are in a happy aquarium! I had several of them in a 5g with some ember tetras (who btw are awesome too) and it was great. I would totally do that tank again, they are small enough that they are suited to a smaller tank (like your 10??). Another favorite that I'd like to do again were the n.Brichardi a white cichlid, they are so pretty and breed like rabbits...not nice to other fish in the least so I would make it a species tank. Then as far as activity goes, I really like zebra danios....I think a crazy active fun tank would be a school of corys, a group of zebra danios and a group of tiger barbs :D Not overly colorful, but fun to watch. I think either of those last two would do well in the 29. Anything that gets bigger than 4 inches or so isn't really going to be happy in a 29, imo. So you should talk hubby into something like a 46 bowfront, gorgeous tank and he can have some bigger fish :) I love the big "puppy" fish like Oscars or Jack Dempseys...I have a JD in a 55 downstairs...kind of a runt, but still a pretty cool fish.

Jan 25, 2010
Orange Texas
In the 10 we have 3 tiger barbs and a tetra, so definitely more room in there....will look into the danios and corys you suggested! I don't want an oscar though, the very first tank I had I put an Oscar in and the thing was a destructive force to be reckoned with! He went through SEVERAL heaters and filters, constantly ramming them and breaking them. As far as going with a bigger tank, we'd LOVE to, but we live in a pretty small apartment, the 29 gal taking up over half of a wall, so that will have to wait until we are in a bigger place lol. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will start looking into the fish you suggested asap!